2017 Rex Oil Leak

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txleadfoot

I just acquired a 2017 i3 Rex from CarMax yesterday. Battery power dipped below 7% while driving home after a car wash. I got a quick warning on the center screen saying the engine failed to start and to recharge the high-power battery asap. When I got home safely, I tried to manually start the motor...same thing...nothing.

When I got out, I noticed the whole back of the car had a fine mist of clean oil on it. I got down and looked under the Rex motor compartment since I saw oil puddling underneath :-(

Has anyone heard of this before? I do have a 90-day/4k mile warranty, but I'm not sure if I trust the techs at CarMax to troubleshoot the issue.

Sounds like whoever did the oil change to prep the car for sale either left off the oil fill cap, the dipstick, or didn't screw on either the oil filter or drain plug properly - maybe cross-threaded one. Be glad that the REx didn't start. Several i3 car fires have been caused by oil spewing out because oil cap or dipstic was left off and then ignited from the heat of the engine running. Take it back to CarMax immediately. They will likely take it in to a local BMW Dealer to be checked out. They need to check the oil filter and drain plug, plus take off the engine cover in the boot, check for the oil cap, and dipstick, and see if oil has soaked into the REx sound insulation. Total fire hazard if it has. Then they need to get the REx to run and make sure it wasn't damaged. If you can still get (and can afford) the CarMax extended warranty, you might want to consider it - is rated the best aftermarket warranty in the business, and the i3 is not cheap to fix.

I3 Fire.jpg

It does sound like either the dipstick cap hasn't been secured, the drain plug is loose or the oil filter has been cross-threaded.

The oil sump face where the oil filter screws on is prone to corrosion as it's open to the elements. That said, not to lose as much oil as you have, and vehicle is only 5 years old.

Keep us posted as to the outcome.

I backed the car up on some ramps to investigate the leak. Sure enough, the filter was cross-threaded and not mating up with the housing. I was able to get the engine started (for a few seconds) using the emissions test procedure. I'll search out some appropriate motor oil tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendations!

2.6 litres, I use Castrol Edge 5W30 LL but as long as compatible put it in.

Struggling to see how they could cross-thread the filter, that's a basic maintenance procedure.

I have a mediocre photo to share, but attaching one here seems to require a hosting service. There was definitely a gap between the oil filter and the mating surface. I couldn't screw it back on by hand. I had to take the filter to my workbench and clean the threads. It's all good now. I think what happened originally was the engine started automatically, sensed no oil pressure (meanwhile oil blowing out the gap under pressure) and shut off, giving me the warning message.

Yes, no idea why the forum doesn't host images? :shock:

I've used this site, you don't even need to register to use it.
https://imgbb.com

Yes, no idea why the forum doesn't host images? :shock:

The forum hosts images. There are different levels of forum membership. The ability to post images is available to member levels above the basic free membership, who help support the cost of running the forum through a yearly subscription fee.

View attachment sun shade.jpg

Back