2018 I3Rex display upgrade with the Kyocera display

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himynameisyoung

Hi guys. I have tried to upgrade a 6.4" display to a 10.2" one for my 2018 i3 Rex (07/2018 ver). Before purchasing a screen, I read all discussions regarding display upgrade, and what I found as a critical point for 2018+ was a display provider. So I purchased a Kyocera's 10.2 display. After following instructions to code ECU, unfortunately, it didn't work for my i3.

I assume the reason is the version of a head unit. 2018 i3 with 6.4 screen has an NBT unit(the ENTRYNAV headunit), but it seems that 2018+ i3 with 10.2 has an NBT-Evo unit or upgraded NBT unit with a tile style home menu. So, the retrofitting doesn't work properly for the 2018 i3 with 6.4 even though I installed the Kyocera display. Another reason may be available coding options from Bimmercode. This new display has a higher resolution of 1440x540 (vs 1240x480 for 2013-2017), but Bimmercode does not provide this resolution to code.

Is there anyone successfully upgrading the 6.4 to the 10.2 for 2018? Or any ideas to solve this issue?

Thank you for any comments!

I've found an answer by myself. Yes, it depends on the headunit. Before purchasing a display to upgrade, check your nav version. If your car has ENTRYVAV (the old nav version same as 2013-2017), the older large display for 2013-2017 still works for your 2018. If your car has ENTRYNAV2, no one has found a way to code for the large display so far. So, there hasn't been a way to upgrade your display with the Kyocera 10.25 display for 2018+.

Unfortunately, in the case of my 2018 i3 Rex, its nav version is ENTRYNAV that is not compatible with the 2018+ Kyocera 10.25 display. Therefore, an expensive test does not work for me.

2019 BMW i3 REX
Anyone find a solution yet?
From what I can find these head units coded to vehicles pacific VIN number (Anyone know just how this is done)?
Any one know "ENAVEVO"=EVO?
What dose the"HDD" Navigation stand for?
S606A Navigation system Business=(ENTRYVAV) or (ENTRYNAV2) or none?
Thank you in advance.

Hey guys, so I have a 2019 I3s. Bought new screen and all. Tried bimmercode and also tried through a company specialized in coding and upgrading bmw’s in the uk remotely, and there is no way to do it. So, from all research, it seems the entrynav business headunit does not have the power to run the larger screen. So, the only way of doing this is to purchase a 2019+ head unit with professional nav system in order to get the large screen working. It will need coding, but the head unit will need to be programmed to be paired to your car’s vin number in order to work. So you will need to spend more money and need bmw to pair the head unit to your vin, and then install all that and code it as well.not as easy as the older system for sure. Hope this helps.

himynameisyoung said:
I've found an answer by myself. Yes, it depends on the headunit. Before purchasing a display to upgrade, check your nav version. If your car has ENTRYVAV (the old nav version same as 2013-2017), the older large display for 2013-2017 still works for your 2018. If your car has ENTRYNAV2, no one has found a way to code for the large display so far. So, there hasn't been a way to upgrade your display with the Kyocera 10.25 display for 2018+.

Unfortunately, in the case of my 2018 i3 Rex, its nav version is ENTRYNAV that is not compatible with the 2018+ Kyocera 10.25 display. Therefore, an expensive test does not work for me.

How do you go about checking what version you have? I'm buying a 2019 S that has the basic small screen.

I have a 2019, it seems all 2019 models have the new nav system, so the only way to retrofit the screen is by changing the whole lot! Meaning, screen, headunit and controller! I’m in the process of doing that since I was lucky to find a complete set from a wrecked I3s 2021 model in the UK (cost was $745 for the set). But now is being coded and retrofitted for my US version I3s. Also to know, is not an easy swap, the connectors are not all the same either, so you can do it yourself if you know what your doing, or they do sell the connectors harness to make it plug and play.

Arm said:
himynameisyoung said:

How do you go about checking what version you have? I'm buying a 2019 S that has the basic small screen.

It's simple. Check the map version in the iDrive menu!

If it is "Road map route", you just have to change the display to Innolux and adjust the resolution.

If it is "Road map way", then the display and the head unit must be replaced with NBT Evo.

We have a plug-and-play, DIY solution for both options. If anyone is interested or has further questions, please contact us at the following address:

[email protected]

Back