Can I Check Battery Status Remotely Over Several Days?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyking6976

Out of town for a couple weeks. Told the wife we could take Zippy to the airport since I’d read they only lose 1% per day. So far I unlock and lock the car to get an update on the battery but it still says 87% 150 miles. Is the car battery really not updating or since the car is only 6 months old there is little loss in charge? We’ve already been go over a week so….

Thanks in advance…

Skyking6976 said:
Told the wife we could take Zippy to the airport since I’d read they only lose 1% per day.
The high-voltage battery pack self-discharges ~1% per month, not per day. I've stored our 2014 i3 5 times for periods of 3 to 9 months each time with the charge level ~50%. It's possible that the self-discharge rate might be higher at a higher charge level but nowhere near 1% per day. The battery pack is electrically disconnected from all high-voltage loads when an i3 is off, so there are no vampire high-voltage loads to discharge the battery pack as there are with Tesla EV's.

However, there are vampire 12 V loads that discharge the 12 V battery while an i3 is parked. However, a 12 V battery would have to be in pretty bad condition for it to discharge enough to prevent an i3 from starting after only a week of being parked.

Back