2021 BEV, Drivetrain: Check soon

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frictioncircle

Having seven years of driving my (original owner) 2014 BEV with minimal issues, I recently upgraded to a new 2021 i3s BEV and was surprised to receive a "Drivetrain: Check soon" error message yesterday on the instrument cluster.

The control display (iDrive) provides more details:
High-voltage system:

You can continue driving.
Have the system checked by your service center to prevent subsequent damage.

During my 2-mile/day run to the grocery store the car still drives perfectly. I did a search before posting here for "Check soon" and received no results.

With seven years under my belt owning an early-production i3 BEV I'm a bit surprised to get drivetrain errors from a final-year production model.

I'll shortly be doing a Bimmerlink error-code check before making a dealer (warranty) visit but just wanted to see if anyone else here has gotten a "Drivetrain: Check soon" error.

Many thanks!

By the time I got around to checking error messages with Bimmerlink the instrument-cluster and iDrive error messages had gone away.

The only relevant errors found through a Bimmerlink scan were EME-related and referenced an "insulation fault in the overall system, (closed contactors)".

Older posts here mention that i3 RExs had moisture-related problems in the generator windings but my 2021 is a BEV and runs in relatively dry environments (<70% relative humidity).

As the warning is no longer presenting itself I'll continue to drive normally and see if it reoccurs.

Back