Is the i3 going to be as 'cult' as the Original Beetle when production stops?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast400

I feel the i3 will be one of the few cars of the 2000's that will actually be 'cult' cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9LH8Uu8CqM

What other car under 300k can you talk about that actually has a carbon fiber frame? I'm literally driving a state of the art (structurally) vehicle for $22k.

The i3 (more the S) is the only EV I can think of that feels like a hot hatch. No other EV...Tesla included...comes close to it in that regard. And I still think it's got the best interior in the business for a number of reasons.

BMW really screwed up in canceling this car rather than updating/upgrading it. What a colossally near-sighted, corporate based decision.

Agree with Arm, the i3 is in my opinion getting more interesting each day. I fear BMW pulled the plug too soon (and launched the car too early?) More and more people are switching to EV’s, and there is simply no competitor to the i3 at this point.
No matter what the future brings, with the current battery-tech the i3 will remain in a class of its own regarding performance and weight in this small package. Look at the new e-Honda, it is 400kg more that the i3 in base-specifications, or over 30%!

The i3 really is the (spiritual) successor of the Audi A2. the A2 is just as the i3 a fabulous car, but the technical innovations (A2 spaceframe, i3 Monocoque) aren't something that sells.
I love the carbon fiber, it is one of the main reasons I went for the i3, but the general public does not care and find the car too expensive for what it is, a small car.

The i3 will follow the A2 as a cult-car, only appreciated with those who look more than skin deep.
But the general public will never care for these cars, as they are not jaw-dropping in performance or looks.

In the past I always said the Audi A2 was the best car ever made, but nowadays the BMW i3 has surpassed the Audi A2 as best car ever made.
Sure, there are faster, cheaper and more luxurious cars. But when we look at what a car really is, a box on 4 wheels, there is little to improve on the i3 with current technology.

I cannot compare it to the beetle however, the beetle was always designed to be a cheap car for the masses. the i3 was always designed to be the best BMW could do at that time.

I agree. I've already had comments from fellow ramblers about the fact that they think I've got a future classic car. It is by far the most powerful car I've ever owned in both sheer horsepower or Hp/ton ratio. I would have loved to see a final iteration of the tech up to the fairly commonly sized 50kw battery in other makes/models. As it is this cars carbon structure saves so much weight, it behaves like cars with bigger batteries. It's also comfortable on longer journeys, so not just a 'city car'.

Clanduncan said:
I would have loved to see a final iteration of the tech up to the fairly commonly sized 50kw battery in other makes/models.
The current battery pack can output 125 kW in an i3 and 135 kW in an i3S, so it's already much more powerful than 50 kW.

There will be a number of classics from the first generation of EVs: Tesla Roadster for sure is one of them. BMW i8 is another one, and i3 could be a cult classic at a later date. I think it will be in some museums at some point. I don't think it will be an expensive classics, more in the mold of VW Vanagon, a practical desirable car that enthusiasts will keep running for a long time. Hopefully there will be support from BMW and aftermarket to allow this to happen.

I agree, they are high for a daily driver. But not high as a collectible.

I hope i3 will command that sort of prices at some point, but neither is an investment car. A Tesla Roadster or BMW i8 could command several time purchase price at some point. I don't think that will happen with i3.

Back