steering Wheel became Hard to turn

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just experienced the same problem, steering unexpectedly felt heavy and pulling slightly to the left, seemed quite variable, although at maneuvering speed it seemed normal, just at speeds over about 5 mph it had issues. @JasonInRVA mentioned in his video that one of the rear parking sensors was showing phantom objects, same with mine - don't know if this is related or just a coincidence. I know that the steering torque and angle sensors in some cars can go out of calibration and that steering lock-to-lock will sometimes make them re-learn limits and center positioning (at least this is the case with Audi and VW cars with electrically assisted steering - not sure if it applies to BMWs).

Had this happen today. Pulling right like a flat tire and steering was heavy and would not return to center. After coming back from the store and restarting the car its back to normal. Odd that no errors pop up.

Anyone else still have this happen?

What model year, and have you had the system software update?

Model year 2017 BEV, I do not know yet if the software has been updated the car is fairly new to me. So far it hasn't happened again.

Well at this point you're outside of warranty, unless you have extended coverage.

When I experienced it, I was a relatively new owner. It happened once, then not again before I brought it in.

It's not a recall, but I'd take it in, explain what happened, that it felt dangerous or whatever, and (assuming this isn't a covered "repair"), tell them that you posted about it, you know now there was a software update in November 2019 that addressed the issue, that you don't know whether your car has been updated, and that you legitimately believe it's a safety issue. Perhaps if they charge you, you can split the cost, or perhaps they can check your software version as a courtesy.

No matter what though I'd make sure that update is installed, even if full price.

Thank you for your knowledge and suggestion. I made a service appointment, it is in 3 weeks (earliest available). I bought it from Carmax and it's within its 90 day warranty from them so it will be covered. I will let you all know what they say.

Sorry for the late response, either the site was down or other times I had trouble logging in.

Took in to Carmax (under their 90 day warranty) and they could not replicate or find the issue. Carmax handed it off to BMW for a few days. BMW said they could not replicate the issue either, they checked and no codes came up or found anything wrong in their inspection.

So far it hasn’t happened since I first reported.

Hi I just bought a Rex late 2016. Today I have just experienced the same thing as mentioned in these posts. Steering went heavy and pulled to the left. I thought I had a flat and got home and inspected all the tyres. Nothing wrong and no warning came up.

Does BMW offer the update to fix this? The car is due a service in October?

looked for updates and my car is fully updated so I don't really know what else I can do?

Bran said:
Hi I just bought a Rex late 2016. Today I have just experienced the same thing as mentioned in these posts. Steering went heavy and pulled to the left. I thought I had a flat and got home and inspected all the tyres. Nothing wrong and no warning came up.

Does BMW offer the update to fix this? The car is due a service in October?
If the integration level of your i3 is higher than or equal to I001-17-11-500 (November, 2017) and lower than I001-20-03-520 (March, 2020), a BMW dealer would update your i3's system software at no cost according to Service Information Bulletin 32 11 19 STEERING ASSISTANCE SPORADIC REDUCTION: EPS SOFTWARE UPDATE EXT LTD WTY COVERAGE. Apparently, an electric power steering bug was introduced in the I001-17-11-500 system software version and fixed in the I001-20-03-520 system software version.

When I took our 2019 i3 into our BMW dealer in May, the service advisor flagged our i3 as needing this update and performed it at no cost. I had never experienced reduced power steering power. I haven't noticed any negative consequences as a result of this system software update.

You could determine the integration level of your i3 by backing up its driver profiles to a USB flash drive using the iDrive back up driver profiles command. Then insert this flash drive into a USB port of your computer, open the contained MPD file in a text editor, and read the value of the <i-step> tag.

There is a BMW extended warranty for this problem (SIB 32 11 19) The dealer will fix the software. The problem is pretty scary while you are experiencing it, but apparently resolves spontaneously when you stop and turn the car off and back on. Because there is always a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack, you can't actually lose control of the car. I had my software fixed, for this along with the "telematic" unit for the sunroof recall. The downside for me was that I lost the coding that allowed me to control the REx anytime the battery was below 75% like EU cars. I got the original coder to fix that and all seems well now.

Back