'17 > '21 Seat Swap Airbag Error...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
I've removed all the leather seats from my 2017, and installed the driver's seat into the 2021, and the car threw a restraint error with the airbag light on.

Searching the web, I see on the f30 forums similar errors reported with other BMW models.

I'll surprised though — they're taking about electronic lumbar and other features. By comparison, I believe the i3 seats are stone age: seat belt sensor (works), seat heater (works) and occupancy sensor (not sure if it works, need to try on passenger side).

I'm contacting a local coder hoping this is an easy fix. I assume I'll have a similar problem when I install the new seats in the 2017.

I had a local BMW tech recode both cars in his driveway this morning. It's was just an airbag registration error. Ten minute effort — all is well.

eNate said:
I had a local BMW tech recode both cars in his driveway this morning. It's was just an airbag registration error. Ten minute effort — all is well.
Do you think that BimmerCode could make this change? Do you know what BMW desktop app was used? I have ISTA+ but no Windows laptop on which to install it. I could buy a used Windows laptop, I suppose.

If I needed this done, might it be possible to do remotely? The probability of finding someone in Honolulu to do this would probably be considerably lower than in the Bay Area. I suppose I could pay an independent BMW mechanic to do this, but there aren't many of them in Honolulu.

Wow, sorry, I didn't pay attention to what he was doing -- it was one and done so unlike my Audi which I bought a VCDS for, I didn't take much interest in this guy's gear. I just searched, and can't find his ad on Craigslist to ask him, but he used a PC and said he had worked as a tech at the local BMW dealership, so I can assume he was using the real deal software.

I would hit Craigslist. Other providers pop up when I search BMW Coding in the SF bay area. I'm sure one of them could easily answer whether it's possible to remote in and do this. I'm on the lookout for your story.

Back