Oleksiy

Re: Battery issue

gasEX wrote:However, for the price of $750 they would perform a 24 hour diagnostic suggested by the regional experts.
I wonder why the cost of the test is so high... AFAIK, it's performed simply by connecting ISTA+ software to the car via ODB2 port and running a diagnostic in the app. The car is gradually discharged using climate settings with windows open, and then charged again. Or visa versa. Haven't tried it myself but may do someday.
alohart

gasEX wrote:I am new to this forum and am submitting via "post a reply" since I can't find another way to post; this is not a "reply".
First, choose the appropriate subforum for your new topic (e.g., "Problems/Troubleshooting"). Then along the left edge of the page, click the "New Topic" button.
gasEX wrote:After 3 days I got got a call, the service desk person first suggesting that the battery was learning my driving habits!
The numbers that you are reporting are likely the range estimates that are displayed on the instrument panel. The range estimate is likely adjusting based on the conditions encountered during your last 18 miles of driving which includes ambient temperature, vehicle speed, wind, vehicle weight, terrain, precipitation, usable battery pack capacity, etc. This estimate uses your recent driving efficiency in miles driven per kWh of energy consumed (mi/kWh). If your driving efficiency hasn't changed much but your actual driving range has decreased, the capacity of your battery pack is likely to have decreased.

So you should pay attention to your driving efficiency to determine whether your battery pack has lost usable capacity before spending $750 for a dealer to measure the usable capacity.
Aloha,
Art

2019 BMW i3 Imperial Blue Metallic, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Heat Pump, 428 Wheels
[SOLD!] 2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging
JuiceBox EVSE
MKH

What AlohaArt said ;)

Plus try charging it fully, with pre-conditioning/departure time set, and see what range is displayed once pre-conditioning has finished, right when you unplug and first get in the car, and it hasn't time to re-adjust to outside temp, etc.

If I set pre-conditioning/departure time, I get 74+/- miles range, (with an EPA rating for 2015 Rex of 72 miles per charge), and that's on the default "comfort" drive setting. Without pre-conditioning, on cold days, can easily drop 10+ miles off the range (and it doesn't get that cold in Dallas).
Mcjim

Ok i got ista 4.10 been tring to fig out how you reset the bms help please.
alohart

Mcjim wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:53 pmOk i got ista 4.10 been tring to fig out how you reset the bms help please.
Included in my mega.nz download of ISTA+ is an "Instructions" folder. Download just that folder to get instructions that I copied and Google-translated from a couple of Internet sources. I've never used ISTA+ to initialize the BMS, so I can't provide advise regarding these instructions. Let us know what you learn.
Aloha,
Art

2019 BMW i3 Imperial Blue Metallic, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Heat Pump, 428 Wheels
[SOLD!] 2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging
JuiceBox EVSE

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”