power window relearn or reprogram steps

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepgoing

2014 i3 BEV. The driver side window no longer automatically went down (an inch) when opening the door. The auto-up feature does not work either, but the auto-down is fine. I have to hold up the window switch to keep the window rolling up. The passenger side window is working as designed. So I found out BMW window's comfort function relearn. I only found relearn procedure for BMW's gas guzzler but none about i3/i8.

The procedure is basically, with the car at "ready to drive or on" state with door closed, press the window down button all the way to roll down the window, and hold it for 5 seconds (some calls for 15 sec, to reset the window memory). Then release the button and just press it down one time to hear the motor to engage trying to lower the already down window. Then pull the window button up to roll the window all the way up, once it is at the top, release the button, and pull the button one more time to hear the motor to engage trying to lift the already up window. Then the process is completed.

The process not quite working and it sometimes messed up the window electronic that I can't even open it any more. So the process did something. After playing with the window button and repeat the process multiple time, I am able to get the window back to a state when I began the relearn process with, auto-up no go and no auto down when door is opened.

Does anyone have a window relearn or reprogram process for the i3? Or may be I do have some bad component, like bad memory chip or something, that I need to physically replace. I found a part call Windows Regulator with Motor (OE PART #: 51337352875), would that be the correct part that has the memory function? or it is just simply a motor controlled by other computer in the car.

The driver's side window relearn issue is resolved by getting a replacement Front Left Driver Door Window Lock Switch 61319362126, and performed the relearn steps.

Replace the faulty window lock switch first by simply pry out the bad switch from the arm rest. Once new switch is installed, perform the following relearn step before reseating the switch in case something else went wrong.

Relearn Process:
1) Turn the car on to ready state.
2) Press the driver side down button to move window all the way down, then continue to hold the down button for 5 seconds. (this step is suppose to erase/reset the window's position)
3) Pull the driver side up button to move window all the way up, then continue to hold the up button for 5 seconds.
4) Open the driver side door.

Now test the auto-up, auto-down, open and close the door to make sure the window will auto roll down (~an inch) and back up. Once everything is verified as to full functionality, re-seat the new Door Window Lock Switch into the arm rest.

Just adding on that a non-coded i3 (US) will not allow one-touch window raising when that door is open.

Older BMWs would allow a one-touch window raise and (thankfully) it's possible to restore this function to your i3 via coding, even with such a simple solution as Bimmercode.

Back