Windshield Seal Failing

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is the windshield has been replaced, and they didn't put in a new seal, just used the old one, which they royally hacked up getting the old windshield out. Doesn't even look like the windshield is fitting in 'tight' there, when compared to mine. Or someone cleaned it with some serious solvent. Here is what mine looks like. Check the bottom corner of the windshield for the factory OEM markings.

Seal.jpg

View attachment Logo.jpg

I am wondering what did OP ended up doing to resolve / replace the broken seal?

I just purchased a used i3 BEV and I am currently having the same issue. Took it to dealer and they want $1,600 to replace the whole windshield as the upper trim is attached under the windshield. So they mentioned that the seal couldn't be installed without taking off the windshield, which most likely be damaged when taking off.

However, I also read somewhere that the upper trim / moulding reveal is not the primary seal and rather only to divert water / a cosmetic feature. However I wouldn't want to have any leak to the inside cabin.

Any suggestion of what I should do?

I've got this too, just noticed a couple days ago when washing the roof. I'd guess it started several months ago, and since I'm the original owner, would say it's simply inevitable deterioration due to heat/sun/wind/rain.

i3_ws_strip.jpg

Here in Santa Cruz we experienced record rains over the winter and early spring, but I haven't see any signs of water damage yet. So this does support the theory that it's just a filler and not the primary seal.

I am interested in replacing since I may sell the car soon, but am assuming it requires a windshield removal which ain't gonna be quick or easy. So I may just leave it. Been trying to find the part and my best guess is 51-31-7-302-233

Back