i3 Roof Rack Suggestions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuva

Hey guys!

I'm new to the EV world and just picked up my i3 this week. I'm looking to make some practical modifications to it, allowing me to do outdoors things I enjoy locally. I understand the roof rack issue on this car due to the bare roof. But all the threads I've read on different forums really show no suggestions for products to use. Closest thing I saw was a guy suggesting to use SeaSucker mounts and making your own roof rack. I wanted to see if anyone on here has done anything different, and if you have suggestions for parts you have used in putting one together. It will be used for interchanging a surfboard or Thule cargo box, or a bicycle.

Thanks in advance for your help!

SeaSucker makes a roof rack that fits/works. They also have specific roof mounts for bikes, boards, etc. There is really no other good option. One owner in the UK had a custom one done, permanently mounted with a special industrial adhesive, as an experiment, but way too costly to be in general use.

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/crossbars-and-accessories/products/monkey-bars-2020-edition

I purchased 4 kayak rollers from ebay. That's 8 suction cups. Much cheaper option. I cut down 2 of them and used pieces of straight 1/2" copper pipe instead of the taller bent tubing that came with them. I put the 2 short ones in the front and the 2 unaltered ones in the rear so that the load tips forward and down a bit. Attached a hollow core home interior door for a nice flat base. I have hauled lumber, a shower stall, and other loads with it so far. Works like a champ. I use the straps that came with my roof bag for extra security. They grab the interior weather seal flange at the top of the windows. Sorry, no pictures since I cannot load them here.

Always wanted to use our i3 (aka Sparky) as our outdoor adventure car. We considered a rear hitch, but we have bikes, skis, a cargo box, kayaks, and paddle board. So that means a roof rack. But, we needed to be mindful of the sunroof on our i3. So when SeaSucker had a 20% off sale on everything this spring, we took the plunge and purchased Monkey Bars for $420. We also wanted an universal rack solution to avoid having buy a (specific) rack for each current (and future) car. Here’s my install solution for mounting bike racks.

First, we decided to replace our 20 year old bike racks with frame mount racks instead of fork mounts. This is because 1) of modern thru axles and 2) to maximize storage in Sparky. We decided on BMW’s bike rack via Amazon. They’re made by Thule and are essentially their rebranded ProRide XT rack. Via Amazon they were $135 w/Prime (vs Thule’s ProRide XT for $230 @ REI). And, there're the newest version of the Thule, with a locking clamp and updated clamp shape.

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-82-71-2-166-924-Touring-Bicycle-Holder/dp/B004UHUXQU/ref=sr_1_2_mod_primary_new?keywords=bmw+bike+rack&qid=1653957003&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-2

Next, the BMW rack are designed their T-track rack so I had to find a round bar mount solution. They're $20 a piece. These Thule square bar adapter worked perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791RW7N8?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_1Y7G0B26G8ZJEY3GXE0Y

Ok. Now the install. Normally, you want to have the rack mounted corners or edges of the roof. BUT, that’s not case case w/the i3 w/a sunroof. Unlike normal sunroofs, the i3 mounts it’s sunroof along the center track instead of along the outside edges. You can see the glass mounting points from the inside when you open the sunroof halfway. This means mounting the suction cups on the corners are actually furthest from the sunroof’s mounting structure, thus are at its weakest points and prone to excessive and worrisome up and down wobbling.

Position 1: Another person on another thread had their Monkey Bars customized with smaller 4.5” suctions. This allows half of the front suctions to sit on the metal sheet between the windshield and the sunroof. Great idea. However, instead of custom ordering the change, I simply purchased the standard monkey bars on sale and then 2x 4.5” replacement suction cups and caps for $22 (on sale). This brought the mokey bars to $450, vs. $600+ if you custom order them through Seasucker.

Postion 2: Building on the idea above, if you opt to stick with the original 6” suckers you can instead mount the front bars at the rear of the sunroof, with one suction on the sunroof and the other on the rear metal roof panel. I also positioned the towers about 3-4 inches away from the sunroof glass mounts/tracks. This allowed an adequate spread between the two towers, not too much distance from the glass' mount/pivot points, and provided roughly equal distance from the outside edge to tower, between the towers, and to the other outside edge. Also, it’s important to mount the rear suction as close to the edge at possible. This will minimize flexing from the metal when under weight. The sheet metal is really really thin. Lastly, the disadvantage of this position is the rear bar is no longer level to the front bar and is now about 2-3 inches lower. For cargo boxes and water crafts, it will angle the bulk of the mass upwards and will cause air lift problems when at speed. For bike racks, it won't matter much. But, this may cause the rear hatch to not fully open if your bike rack is too long.

Finally, I got a Yakima cable lock to secure the rack to the car. The bike rack itself are lockable to the monkey bars.

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-Trunk-Mount-Security-Strap/dp/B003EMADH6/ref=asc_df_B003EMADH6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312126224579&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=118541876283542881&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033151&hvtargid=pla-569211083426&psc=1

Hope this helps. I'll post an update when the 4.5" suction cups arrives.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-3req4cBKQ8cxkAg7z9hf2T1gbaU9_rY?usp=sharing

eNate said:
The US i3s with sunroofs have aluminum roofs.

eNate –

Where did you find this information? My 2014 BEV had a CF roof but the 2021 came with the sunroof option and I assumed the remaining roof was steel.

Do you have details regarding the weight difference between the non-sunroof roof vs. (apologies) the sunroof roof?

I've owned two sunroof equipped i3s -- at 2017 and a 2021 -- and the difference between my non-CF roof is unmistakable versus the CF weave pattern that shows through the non-sunroof equipped models.

The roof doesn't take a magnet and I recall reading it's aluminum, though it could be a stainless steel sheet.

What I do recall reading around the time I bought my first i3 was that the US sunroof models were delayed to market because the CF + sunroof didn't meet some regulatory requirement. My recollection is that the European sunroof models have a CF roof, but the design of the US versions needed to be modified and the aluminum roof came out of that redesign.

eNate said:
I've owned two sunroof equipped i3s -- at 2017 and a 2021 -- and the difference between my non-CF roof is unmistakable versus the CF weave pattern that shows through the non-sunroof equipped models.

My first i3 was a 2014 BEV with the CF roof and I loved looking at it every day. The first time I drove in the rain I was a bit startled by how much louder the rain was when hitting the CF.

My 2021 came with a sunroof. Not thrilled about all that mass from the metal roof up so high but the sunroof does a great job at brightening up the cockpit and that center divider makes them feel like observation ports in a spacecraft. Very glad to have the option!

The size, weight, and number of kayaks that may be attached to the device are all affected by the capacity of each rack. Furthermore, the structure impacts the rack's lifetime and durability. The convenience of using the gadget is dictated by the usage modes and any added features. You can read more here.
I'd recommend the Malone Stax Pro2 Universal
You choose the sort of kayak roof rack you want to use from the five available alternatives, which include crossbars, temporary pads, J-cradles, stackers, and saddles. Crossbar roof racks for kayaks are sometimes known as cross rails. These are normally two metal bars that span the width of your vehicle. Crossbars may be included with the purchase of your vehicle by the manufacturer or as an aftermarket addition. They are normally permanently fixed on your car and available in three shapes: square, round, and aerodynamic/oval. A Some customers prefer to tie their kayaks directly to the crossbars before transporting them. However, the friction between the kayaks and the metal bars might cause damage. As a result, it's essential to instal some form of cushioning between the two, such as bits of rubber or foam, to keep the kayak safe. Notably absent from the list are any instances of crossbar kayak carriers. Different kayak carriers installed on the crossbars, such as the saddles, J-cradles, and stackers discussed above, are used by other users. Saddle kayak racks, also known as horizontal kayak racks, allow the vessel to sit in its normal upright position. They are made out of a single cradle or separate parts that cradle your kayak and may be adjusted to fit its width.

This thread may be dead but I am interested in hearing from anyone who has carried loads with Sea Sucker racks on an I3 with plain no sun roof top. I am particularly interested in where one would tie down a canoe. I was thinking of the suspension as there is no hook or other place to tie off on either from or rear. Thanks.

Could the front and rear tow hook locations work? They're off center, but both located on the right side of the vehicle.

They would but I am nervous about taking those plugs out of the bumpers and losing or damaging them. I am thinking of one of the A arms even though it moves when the car suspension moves. There just doe snot seem to be any fixed point at front or rear under the car to loop a tie down.

Back