Adding aux in to LCI possible in any conceivable way?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunebralla

Hi fellas!

I need an aux inlet for the media system in my 2020 LCI i3s. It seems hard to do. Did the pre-LCI have aux in? How different are the media units in these cars? I would like to avoid using a 3-party media unit. What i’m hoping for is to find unused pins on the media unit and a way to code them to be activated, but that may just be a faint dream.

Any suggestions?

(Bluetooth is not possible, no)

Greetings

.s

You don't have an AUX IN port above the USB port in the compartment under the middle armrest?

egjoncS.png

I was surprised recently when I saw a picture of a recent i3 that had USB-C above the USB-A port instead of the Aux-in that I have. So yes, pre-LCI i3s had aux-in.

You might find some inspiration here: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1599490 but there seems to be no definitive answer there either.

I would suspect there is a way to add-on Aux capabilities but don't know enough details around these media units to say for sure.

If nothing else, you could use one of those FM transmitters but the sound quality is not very good.

I am wondering if a USB to Audio Jack Adapter might work. Of course, it would require using the only USB port in the vehicle. I have seen such adapters on sale on Amazon.

Back