I3 60 ah REX 7.4 Kw AC Charging Option

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syed

Hello Experts,
I am going to buy a 2016 i3 60 Ah REX without CCS fast charging. What I am not sure is whether the car accepts 7.4 kw AC charge or not ? The car is not accessible to me for the time being and the owner cannot answer me on this question as he only charges at home domestic plug. Is there a way to know this option as I know that some cars can only AC charge upto 3 kw.
Regards
Syed

Ask the seller for the VIN which you could enter at mdecoder.com to learn which options are on his i3. An i3 that could charge at 7.4 kW would have option S4U8 Rapid Charging, Alternating Current.

Many markets such as those in North America include option S4U8 in all i3's.

Syed wrote:
I couldn’t find this option in the list.
WBY1Z41040VZ77921
Can you please also verify.
Unfortunately, any private message that I try to send remains stuck in my Outbox forever, so I can't reply via private message.

The 2016 i3 that you are interested in buying has only 3.7 kW AC charging and the smaller iDrive screen with no DC fast charging or heat pump. I have been charging our i3's at only 3.3 kW for 8 years which has been fast enough for our needs. If you don't usually drive more than the total range of this i3 each day and could charge it for ~6 hours each night, it should work for you because when you need more range, its REx engine would provide that additional range.

Once again thanks for your reply and support.
I have found another 2016 I3 with 94Ah battery and REX with two options related to charging:
1- S4U6
2- S4U7 (Rapid Charging Direct current)

Can you please tell me what is the rate of DC charging for this model. 50 KW ?

Regards,
Syed

Also can you please tell me how to know if the car is equipped with a heat pump.
I cannot find it in the options list.

If you have a REX, you don't have a heat pump. There is apparently no room for it with the REX installed.

Back