BMW i3 Trunk Trim Panel Question

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rory1980

Hi everyone, I own a 2014 REx BMW i3, and today while looking at the cigarette lighter/power outlet on the trunk, I noticed that the lower side panels (where they curve) have three cutouts on each. My question is, are these cutouts meant to be uncovered for a reason? Or, are they supposed to have some sort of “lid” or to be covered? I’m just curious as you can see the exposed inside of the car. Hopefully someone can shed some light! Here’s a link to the OEM label with the visible cutouts:

https://rrr.lt/en/used-part/rad5926-51477314756-bmw-i3-trunk-boot-lower-side-trim-panel

Hello Rory1980 and welcome to the forum!

Looking at the pics on your link, my guess is that they look like ventilation cutouts, maybe to dissipate heat from the 12V socket when it's under load?

I'm not near the car at the moment but wonder if the same cutouts are on the opposite side of the trunk...

frictioncircle said:
Hello Rory1980 and welcome to the forum!

Looking at the pics on your link, my guess is that they look like ventilation cutouts, maybe to dissipate heat from the 12V socket when it's under load?

I'm not near the car at the moment but wonder if the same cutouts are on the opposite side of the trunk...

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to answer! Indeed, the cutouts are on the panels on both sides. 😀

Back