Roof Rail Solution

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S8ERV

Hi All,,

Thought i'd make a post of my solution for a roof rack on my BMW i3s.

Parts -

Quantity 4 - 4.5" Sea Sucker
Quantity 2 - Thule Evo Wing 108
Quantity 1 - Thule XT Sport 300l roof box
Quantity 4 - 1/4-20 3/4" Screws Stainless Steel
Quantity 4 - 3/4" washers
Quantity 4 - small rubber washers

Fitting time - 30mins

Place a rubber washer and metal washer on each screw, and lightly screw to the Sea Sucker thread.
Slide the Sea Sucker onto the end of the Thule Bar (There is a slot on each side, the washer simply stops the screw just falling through).
Align the Sea Suckers and bar to the width you want them on the roof.
Measure the distance from the thread centres.
Drill a hole in the top of the Thule bars at the same measurement (These holes need to be large enough for the Allen Key to fit through to tighten the screws.

If anyone is interested in this post i can take more photos to make it clear how to fit. We're just back from a 500 mile trip and all worked perfectly. You can remove the bars/sea suckers with absolutely no marks or damage to the roof.

I can also tilt open the sunroof whilst the roof bars are on.

c30276a87bd98eacdbc501ee5976132c.jpg

48eb848b87ebe3c12f32285c51a91897.jpg

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this solution. I’m interested in installing it on my i3s as well, so I’m buying all the necessary gear. Just wanted to ask if you could please share some more photos of the fitting between the racks and the suckers, and the screws (are them Allen screws?)?

I appreciate your kind reply.

Back