Got into an accident...car totaled

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arm

Hey all,

Got into a car accident on the 10th. Sadly the car was totaled....a 2018 i3s loaded with Deka package. Beautiful car...practically stole it off the lot a mere year ago. Have to say, the car itself held up like a champ. It's dainty and expensive to fix but has a solid frame that will protect you. Nothing inside got damaged but the cladding, lights, bottom casing for the battery, etc. got damaged.

Now let's see what insurance pays out.

Found a replacement 2019 i3s but no packages at all for $30k. It's almost absurd to think I'm paying $7k more for a lesser vehicle (except for the larger battery) but they are in short supply...the S versions anyway.

I would like to upgrade the screen to the larger screen at some point. The Bimmer Tech kit is almost $3k however. It's too bad it's not a simple matter of coding as it was for 2017 models and prior.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8ZUSzLSFWwTJsKLE6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVfFKpsP1qpFT5Ce7

Oh, wow, sorry to hear it. The damage doesn't even look all that terrible.

i3 prices have become insane. Three years ago nobody wanted these cars used and now the price premium astounds me. Though I'm sure they're generally trending with increased car prices across the board.

eNate said:
Oh, wow, sorry to hear it. The damage doesn't even look all that terrible.

i3 prices have become insane. Three years ago nobody wanted these cars used and now the price premium astounds me. Though I'm sure they're generally trending with increased car prices across the board.

Indeed the car held up well considering it went up against a 2019 Tacoma truck. But it's an expensive car to fix. Parts and labor repair ran to $23k.

Yes prices are truly insane and no excuse they claim can justify it.

Arm said:

Well, it's our fault -- the collective "we" -- it's what we're willing to pay. Funny though, on the one hand I'm appalled by the used market in general. On the other, I'm pleased that the underappreciated i3 is finally being recognized for what it is.

Dualing headlines:

i3 king of depreciation https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/vehicles/used-cars-consider-selling

i3 53% year-over-year increase in average sale price https://www.motorbiscuit.com/1-ev-loses-value-like-no-other/

eNate said:
Arm said:

Well, it's our fault -- the collective "we" -- it's what we're willing to pay. Funny though, on the one hand I'm appalled by the used market in general. On the other, I'm pleased that the underappreciated i3 is finally being recognized for what it is.

Dualing headlines:

i3 king of depreciation https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/vehicles/used-cars-consider-selling

i3 53% year-over-year increase in average sale price https://www.motorbiscuit.com/1-ev-loses-value-like-no-other/

Indeed. Well I got my replacement. Paid quite a bit more for less car but oh well it is what it is.

eNate said:
Still slim pickings for the HK audio?

Yes. Most are REXs out there and I specifically wanted to avoid getting a REX. It's dead weight, adds complexity, and I don't need the backup.

My new car doesn't have any packages...it's a base i3s. But the additional battery capacity is worth it. It's vastly better than the 94Ah i3s I had. But the larger screen, HK, and moonroof were nice to have. Was NOT a fan of the ACC...it was terrible.

Arm said:
My new car doesn't have any packages...it's a base i3s. But the additional battery capacity is worth it. It's vastly better than the 94Ah i3s I had. But the larger screen, HK, and moonroof were nice to have. Was NOT a fan of the ACC...it was terrible.

I wish BMW would have given us radar-based ACC. The '17 I owned was choppy, but I tolerated it. The ACC in the '21 has been noticeably refined, still a little more "hands on" than I'd like but I use it regularly. I don't know when the changes occurred,.. for all I know your '18 was better than my '17 and the '21 is the same as the '19 -- or maybe each model year was incrementally improved.

eNate said:
Arm said:

I wish BMW would have given us radar-based ACC. The '17 I owned was choppy, but I tolerated it. The ACC in the '21 has been noticeably refined, still a little more "hands on" than I'd like but I use it regularly. I don't know when the changes occurred,.. for all I know your '18 was better than my '17 and the '21 is the same as the '19 -- or maybe each model year was incrementally improved.

To be honest I'm not a fan of that tech in general. I've a 2022 Model 3 and for all the raving people do about autopilot, I'm not impressed. I much prefer having full control. It's like putting your hands in a nervous, inexperienced driver.

I’m surprised the parts cost that much because the damage doesn’t look bad. It’s probably because the car is not that new, and there are fewer parts available generally for electric vehicles.
I bought my i3s a year ago, and I’ve already got into a minor accident. Luckily, then, with the help of my lawyer from https://puschnguyen.com/houston-car-accident-lawyer/, I managed to get the repair costs reimbursed in full by the insurance company. I was the victim in the accident, and the other driver’s insurance was responsible for this. as far as I remember, it wasn’t that much: $2000-3000.

gooseNzoose said:
I’m surprised the parts cost that much because the damage doesn’t look bad. It’s probably because the car is not that new, and there are fewer parts available generally for electric vehicles.

A lot of the damage was under the car as I went over a concrete center divider. Nonetheless, you'll be shocked at what the insurance paid for it....

Arm said:
A lot of the damage was under the car as I went over a concrete center divider. Nonetheless, you'll be shocked at what the insurance paid for it....

Ok. I'll ask: How much did the insurance company pay?

Fisher99 said:
Arm said:

Ok. I'll ask: How much did the insurance company pay?

$31,9k

Nice! I'm currently waiting for a final estimate on the damage to my 2014 i3/REX after my wife put it into a ditch. I don't think it will be totaled unless they find something significant when they get under it and tear into it. The body shop can't even get it in for the estimate until January.

Fisher99 said:
Nice! I'm currently waiting for a final estimate on the damage to my 2014 i3/REX after my wife put it into a ditch. I don't think it will be totaled unless they find something significant when they get under it and tear into it. The body shop can't even get it in for the estimate until January.

Wow that's crazy. I can't believe they are that backlogged.

Just got some "good" news. They have moved me up to December 27. Accident happened 10/26, so that will be a 2 month wait. The shop did a quick estimate the same day, just to get the insurance stuff rolling, but said that they can't provide a full estimate until they can tear into it, or at least get it up on a lift. There are several body shops in the area but the reputable ones are all backlogged, or don't work on electric vehicles.

Fisher99 said:
Just got some "good" news. They have moved me up to December 27. Accident happened 10/26, so that will be a 2 month wait. The shop did a quick estimate the same day, just to get the insurance stuff rolling, but said that they can't provide a full estimate until they can tear into it, or at least get it up on a lift. There are several body shops in the area but the reputable ones are all backlogged, or don't work on electric vehicles.

Where are you located?

Back