A/C Compressor Failure

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VespaRick

Hello All,

Long-term lurker here, making my first post. I just wanted to share my air conditioning story and say that anyone who's having A/C issues with their i3 please read this first before shelling out four or five figures to BMW or some other mechanic, repair should be free under the ULEV warranty extension for our car.

The ULEV warranty extends the warranty to 15 years or 150,000 miles (varies depending on the state) on any emissions-related related repairs.

So long story short, my A/C started to make a loud noise, and I was assured that this was normal and the A/C was probably just working hard because of the extreme heat we were experiencing. Anyway, that was not true and my A/C eventually failed to blow cool air and I was getting a drive train error message.

I took the car to my local BMW and they quoted me $4K for this repair. I had done my research before dropping off the car and discovered the CA Emission Warranty. They kept my car for two weeks whilst they scrambled to see if this warranty was applicable. Well, yesterday they came to me and told me that I was correct and that the repair would be completely covered. That was a relief.

So my advice to you is please check for this Federal extended warranty first to see if you are covered. Just remember that his warranty is a federal extension, so you should be covered in most states. It varies slightly for DE, OR, PA & WA.

Link to the warranty booklet for BMW i3 (page 25-33)
https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-value/bmw-ultimate-service/service-and-warranty-books.html

Interesting, to say the least. So you're saying that your A/C was covered under a federal "emissions" warranty?

EDIT: So I just downloaded and read the info in the link and it does indeed look like the "Electric A/C Compressor" is covered under the exteneded "emissions" warranty. Of course since I live in Oregon that's only 7yr/70k so my 2014 is no longer covered anyway, so I'll just keep crossing my fingers that my pump doesn't fail. Or if it does maybe I'll have to take up temporary residence in California...

Yep, picking the car up today at long last. All covered under warranty. It did take them a long time to get back to me. BMW has had the car for 3 weeks.

This is very useful to know. What is covered under an emission warranty is a bit ambiguous. In PZEV states the REX models in particular have a wide range of items covered under emissions warranty.

@VespaRick:

This is very interesting and helpful.

Question: is your car a BEV or a REX? I read the warranty documentation for my 2014 i3 and it seems that the 15 year/150k mile CA emissions warranty only applies to REX (table page 28 of warranty document). If you own a 2014 REX, the AC compressor is clearly covered. But for a 2014 BEV only the standard 2 year/50k mile warrant applies to the AC compressor (same table).

This would be really unfortunate. The AC on my 2014 BEV just died. No noise or rattling sound prior to the failure. No warning lights either. It simply stopped working from one day to the other. I've had major squirrel activity in the frunk the same week, so my hypothesis is that the critters chewed through a wire. That should be easily to replace. But It could also be that the compressor failed. Or that the dealer simply says the compressor needs to be replaced.

It would be great if you could clarify. If the CA emission warranty also applied to BEVs that would be very helpful in my case.

Rabaja said:
Question: is your car a BEV or a REX? I read the warranty documentation for my 2014 i3 and it seems that the 15 year/150k mile CA emissions warranty only applies to REX (table page 28 of warranty document). If you own a 2014 REX, the AC compressor is clearly covered. But for a 2014 BEV only the standard 2 year/50k mile warrant applies to the AC compressor (same table)./quote]
This is why I question the interpretation that the 15 year/150k mile CA emissions warranty covers equipment that has nothing to do with emissions like the A/C compressor. If it's covered in a REx, it makes no sense that it wouldn't be covered in a BEV.

alohart said:
This is why I question the interpretation that the 15 year/150k mile CA emissions warranty covers equipment that has nothing to do with emissions like the A/C compressor. If it's covered in a REx, it makes no sense that it wouldn't be covered in a BEV.

We can debate what makes sense and what doesn't. But what matters is what the warranty says and how it is being handled in practice. Table on page 28 of the 2014 i3 warranty document is very clear: it says the AC compressor is covered under the 15 year/150k mile CA emissions warranty for the REX but not for the BEV. OP went through the warranty process and got the AC compressor warrantied. So we have a data point on how the coverage works in practice. The piece of information that is missing is whether OP has REX or BEV. The warranty document suggests OP has a REX but we don't know for sure. If OP has a BEV and got the AC compressor warrantied that would be an important precedent. If OP has REX it would merely confirm what the warranty document states.

VespaRick said:
Hello All,

Long-term lurker here, making my first post. I just wanted to share my air conditioning story and say that anyone who's having A/C issues with their i3 please read this first before shelling out four or five figures to BMW or some other mechanic, repair should be free under the ULEV warranty extension for our car.

The ULEV warranty extends the warranty to 15 years or 150,000 miles (varies depending on the state) on any emissions-related related repairs.

So long story short, my A/C started to make a loud noise, and I was assured that this was normal and the A/C was probably just working hard because of the extreme heat we were experiencing. Anyway, that was not true and my A/C eventually failed to blow cool air and I was getting a drive train error message.

I took the car to my local BMW and they quoted me $4K for this repair. I had done my research before dropping off the car and discovered the CA Emission Warranty. They kept my car for two weeks whilst they scrambled to see if this warranty was applicable. Well, yesterday they came to me and told me that I was correct and that the repair would be completely covered. That was a relief.

So my advice to you is please check for this Federal extended warranty first to see if you are covered. Just remember that his warranty is a federal extension, so you should be covered in most states. It varies slightly for DE, OR, PA & WA.

Link to the warranty booklet for BMW i3 (page 25-33)
https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-value/bmw-ultimate-service/service-and-warranty-books.html

Great catch....and wow...all those people who have forked out thousands to have this repaired. This is how shady BMW and the dealers are. That's incredibly unethical of them.

One question though for the BMW i3 / i3s BEV, the coverage is noted as "See" and then a 1 superscript. That refers to:

1For the applicable or other warranty and coverage information, please refer to
the New Vehicle Limited Warranty statement beginning on page 2

So I'm not sure if the 15year/150000 mile warranty applies to the BEVs?

VespaRick said:
Yep, picking the car up today at long last. All covered under warranty. It did take them a long time to get back to me. BMW has had the car for 3 weeks.

Their lawyers were trying to find a way to get out of covering it you can be sure of that.

According to that document, the HV Traction Battery is warrantied for 10 years/150000 miles for a 2019 i3s REX in CA. But not for BEV? How stupid is that?

UPDATE 10-13-22. Updated software via ista+ from a 2020 version to a 2022 version. This eliminated the S0729 permanent code. I still have the 8013CF code. All signs point to a compressor that won't start up. Using Ista+ I wasn't able to start the compressor in any module. Also replaced the IHKA module with a new one prior to the software update (so that it would code it) but still no change. The 8013CF code resides in the IHKA module (heating and air conditioning). CEL still on too. So I guess next step is to replace compressor. And condenser. Ouch. $2,037 for both, and another $100 for the R1234yf gas.

Can this car pass smog? See below...

I have a compressor error I can't resolve (yet). I have codes:

Running a bmw specific reader, autophix 5900 I get the below in the IHKA module:
801219 Electric AC compressor power reduction due to excess temperature on printed circuit board.
8013CF Electric AC compressor High Voltage exceeds the valid value range.

Running ISTA+ i get:
S0729 EME Permanent fault data connot be deleted.
8013CF Electric AC compressor High voltage electrical system voltage exceeds the valide range

Check engine light is on.

2 separate OBD2 readers show no CEL and no DTC. Does this mean I can pass smog?

Car is a 2020 I3s. Cabin AC doesnt work. Neither does heater. Car was in an accident with front end bumper damage, bumper cover, and bumper deformation bar, deployed airbags. The front collision accel is right on the deformation element connected to bumper so this easily deployed airbags. I removed replaced, airbags, seatbelt, no more issues, drives fine, but codes stated remain.

Ista+ diagnosis states to update software to remove the permanent code. I'll try that this weekend. Not sure if that will correct compressor prob but maybe I'll replace IHKA module as well.

My car warranty states compressor is covered by CA 8/80 warranty as it's part of the emissions system. That warranty states it's covered if it's a registered car in Ca. I'm not registered yet with a salvage branded title but for others who might have a salvaged I3 you're covered. I had a salvaged 328d that was covered by a similar Ca warranty that the dealer covered on an emissions issue.

I have a 2014 i3 w Rex … in Texas. Car was originally sold in California… compressor imploded and dealer is charging 13k for repairs. Has there been a class action lawsuit???

JoeyI3Texas said:
I have a 2014 i3 w Rex … in Texas. Car was originally sold in California… compressor imploded and dealer is charging 13k for repairs. Has there been a class action lawsuit???
I hope that you haven't agreed to pay $13k which is likely more than the market value of your i3. If I was in your situation, I'd buy a used compressor from a wrecking yard and pay a BMW mechanic to install it, and that's it. You'd risk plugged cooling lines in the battery pack and maybe the condenser, but your alternative is overkill considering the car's value.

alohart said:
JoeyI3Texas said:
I hope that you haven't agreed to pay $13k which is likely more than the market value of your i3. If I was in your situation, I'd buy a used compressor from a wrecking yard and pay a BMW mechanic to install it, and that's it. You'd risk plugged cooling lines in the battery pack and maybe the condenser, but your alternative is overkill considering the car's value.

I certainly don't have an extra $13k lying around in my Texas pad lol... I paid them shy of $500 for their diagnosis and time etc... Do you think getting a compressor would resolve the issue for now? I really REALLY like the car but this has left quite the sour note... I'm thinking of buying a cheap car for now and figuring it out w the i3.

Has anyone heard of any class action suit for this? I'm shocked there hasn't been one yet.

Oh boy, I didn’t want this to be my first post to the forum, but I just got news (after the car sat at the dealer for a month waiting for compressor parts from Germany) that they found a bunch of metal in the A/C system of my 2015 i3 BEV. The dealer says it’s not worth repairing.
What are my options here? I had two local bmw shops send me to the dealer because they said it was too proprietary for them to work on beyond charging the freon.
I’m in Charleston, SC, so it’s too hot to go without AC and I’m not sure what the danger to the battery is.

I think your best bet is some sort of goodwill from BMW. You should also explore if any warranty left on the car battery.

thanks, the deallership gave me an 800 number, is that the best place to start?
As it's a BEV from 2015 and not in California anyway, is there any chance there is warranty left on the battery?

thanks, the deallership gave me an 800 number, is that the best place to start?
As it's a BEV from 2015 and not in California anyway, is there any chance there is warranty left on the battery?
did you get any assistance from BMW ? What was the 1800 number to contact for goodwill assistance ?

Back