Looking to buy a 2019+ i3s Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is there a way to look at the 'battery health' on the in car display, or is that info only viewable with a connection to the ODB port? I have test driven 2 rexs at dealerships (not bmw) who keep their i3s at 30 mile range, because the Rex turns on and charges up the car at that point.
I would imagine that storing the battery at such a low SOC isnt good for the battery health, right?

If you know of a well cared for specimen, in the mid atlantic, please share.

Thanks

This is one of MANY videos and how-tos on how to find the BATT.KAPPA using the hidden display menu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIP_lThJYWE

I doubt you will find anything obvious there though because the battery pack is not going to instantly go bad from being stored at a low SOC. When new it was probably 39.0 and may read 37-38 now.
(The 2019 and up have 44kWh batteries, the one in the video is a 2017-2018 which has a 33kWh battery and will display a lower number)

Thanks!
well one of the cars i test drove was a 2016 and has been on sale for about 6 months. Would that long at 30 miles cause battery degradation? Or should i not be too concerned about it.

preoccupied1985 said:
Thanks!
well one of the cars i test drove was a 2016 and has been on sale for about 6 months. Would that long at 30 miles cause battery degradation? Or should i not be too concerned about it.

I really have no idea but rather doubt it would be noticeable beyond the degradation that is already present in a 6 year old battery pack. If this is something that concerns you and keeps you up at night, you should avoid the 2013-2016 model years entirely. "30 miles" is also not a valid indicator of SOC or SOH. On a 2016 that could be 50%. The Guess-o-meter takes into account the last 18 miles of use and if the vehicle was simply turned on, sat, turned on, moved to another part of the lot of driven hard for a test drive, all these factors drive down the "miles remaining" estimate.

When we purchased our 2017 BEV 2 years ago it had like 12 miles left. After driving it home 10 miles, it had 18 miles left. Actually using the vehicle changes everything.

preoccupied1985 said:
Thanks!

30 miles range for a 2016 is about 40%, which is lower but close to optimum for long term storage (50%).

Back