Newbie Questions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suwheet

Hello Fellow i3 Owners!

I have had my 2015 BMW i3 REX for about a month now. I love it! I do have lots of questions which I have found answers to here, Thank you.
However, I am still needing clarification on several if someone would be so kind as to answer them for me please?
The BMW App. Is that still working? I have read several posts here which state BMW is phasing out 3g and I assume my car is 3g?
Also the charge range. I can not get more poor lil brain around this. Can someone point me to a good explanation?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your new-to-you i3 Rex!

The BMW app is still working, but you're right your car is 3G, so depending on the cell provider in your area you may no longer have connection to the car anymore.

Do you mean by "charge range" the estimated miles/kms the car provides in the bottom right corner of the screen? If so that is known unofficially as the "GOM"... aka Guess-O-Meter. It gives you an estimated range based on your last drive (or last however many miles/kms driven, I don't recall if BMW defines that exactly) and ambient temp. So its just a guess and it's constant adjusting itself based on variables as you drive.

Mine is a Sep 2016 94Ah. purported to be 2017 Model
Is there anywhere we can check whether an i3 is on 3G or 4G.
Perhaps by entering the Vn number , etc?

Also, I use MyBMW only for a few functions, like,
to alert me when it is fully charged
check vehicle status
check car location
presumably I might lose these as well

SSi3 said:
Congrats on your new-to-you i3 Rex!

The BMW app is still working, but you're right your car is 3G, so depending on the cell provider in your area you may no longer have connection to the car anymore.

Do you mean by "charge range" the estimated miles/kms the car provides in the bottom right corner of the screen? If so that is known unofficially as the "GOM"... aka Guess-O-Meter. It gives you an estimated range based on your last drive (or last however many miles/kms driven, I don't recall if BMW defines that exactly) and ambient temp. So its just a guess and it's constant adjusting itself based on variables as you drive.

----------
do you mean..
without the 3G, MyBMW App will still be working?
to check status, etc? or not..
thanks

alex29a said:

Can you use the MyBMW app now?
If so, you don't need to check anything as in the USA that all went away in February 2022 for 3G users. (2014-2016 years)

alex29a said:

Also, I use MyBMW only for a few functions, like,
to alert me when it is fully charged
check vehicle status
check car location
presumably I might lose these as well

My 2017 was a July 2016 build, and had 4G connectivity. July was the month all of the parts sheets changed.

You can try plugging your VIN in to mdecoder.com but I don't believe that presents any data indicating 3G/4G status. Anyhow, no worries, what EvanstonI3 said: you're good!

Back