How to Check if an i3 uses 3G or 4G communication

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex29a

As the 3G network has been ( or being ) phased out, the older ( pre2017) i3' s and many other cars
using the same technology are facing frustrating issues ...

Apart from 'guessing' if an i3 uses 3G or 4G telematics control unit (TCU)
Is there anyway we can check in the iDrive, or Online to get the correct answer?

Most 2018 are on 4G, although I have heard some are still on 3G ( or the owners were guessing)
The 2017 model ( launch July 2016) seems to be somewhat confusing on this score

Has anyone got a definitive answer?

much obliged.

If you rely on guesses from other people online or any other online source, even BMW, you will not find a "definitive" list. That's why I won't recommend using REALOEM.com to check this as I don't know where their info comes from.

While 2017's should ALL have 4G, it gets confusing for people when they see the "3G" icon on the iDrive screen at times. Some people point to that as "PROOF!" that the car has "3G", but that icon is generated by system software and will never go away.

The only way I know of to "definitively" check is to lift the back seat, remove a couple of brackets and access the TCU module to look at the LABEL.

HkQSvQt.jpg

3G equipped models have this on the label:
MODEL/Type: TCB-01 TCB US
4G equipped models have this on the label:
MODEL/Type: TCB4G-01 T2-US-4G

So far I have not seen any evidence that 2017+ do NOT have 4G.

I second Evanston's suggestion which isn't super practical, but it's the only way I know of **for sure** to verify.

My July 11 2016 built i3 (2017 model year) had 4G but because of the software showed a 3G icon on the screen.

When I removed my rear seat to verify, the labels were hidden from plain view. I'm not aware of any easy way to identify a 3G vs. a 4G box visually, other than checking the pen number.

That said, referencing the build date ought to be s reliable enough indicator.

Back