2017 i3 spare Key fob "lazy" after battery replacement

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewslimmer

Hey all, I'm having a problem with my 2nd /spare keyfob. The primary keyfob we use everyday is working fine, and I just replaced the battery in both of them. I tested the new 3V batteries before installing.

Now, the 2nd /spare keyfob will not unlock/lock doors. The buttons do nothing.

When I get in the car with 2nd /spare keyfob, the dash reads "No Remote Control, Engine will not start." and also "Hold remote control to steering column". And if I do hold the 2nd /spare keyfob against the steering column juuuuust right, it will turn on and I can drive.

When I stop driving and get out, the 2nd /spare keyfob still will not lock/unlock doors.

It seems that the 2nd /spare keyfob does not need re-programming, as it still allows the car to start. I've tried 2 more (tested) 3V batteries too. All the contacts look fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks all!

Pics...

37rK9xy.jpg

YVepqDA.jpg

7U8Xd3R.jpg

matthewslimmer said:
Hey all, I'm having a problem with my 2nd /spare keyfob. The primary keyfob we use everyday is working fine, and I just replaced the battery in both of them. I tested the new 3V batteries before installing.

Now, the 2nd /spare keyfob will not unlock/lock doors. The buttons do nothing.

When I get in the car with 2nd /spare keyfob, the dash reads "No Remote Control, Engine will not start." and also "Hold remote control to steering column". And if I do hold the 2nd /spare keyfob against the steering column juuuuust right, it will turn on and I can drive.

When I stop driving and get out, the 2nd /spare keyfob still will not lock/unlock doors.

It seems that the 2nd /spare keyfob does not need re-programming, as it still allows the car to start. I've tried 2 more (tested) 3V batteries too. All the contacts look fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks all!

Pics...

The behavior you're describing is consistent with a dead fob battery. Holding the fob to the steering column does not require the fob to have juice in the battery (that's the point of it).

I'd recommend troubleshooting that way; check the battery again - is it installed right side up? Does it still have adequate voltage on a multimeter? Are contacts dirty? If you swap batteries in your fobs, does the broken one now work and vice versa?

Never mind. Had a few defective batteries that were "new" purchased from a dollar store. Fortunately I kept changing them until I found a good one. Voltmeter indicated defective batteries as good. So can't trust meter.

Hi all, i am having a similar issue with my 2014 bmw i3. I bought it with one fob that seemed broken but it still started the vehicle only when touching the steering column at a specific right place. I only get the "hold remote to steeeing column" prompt when pressing start. No functions on the fob work. When i went to have a new fob programed, the tech told me there was an issue with a car and so the second fob had the same use as the original, only barely starting the car. Just wondering if this is a receiver/module issue , 12b battery issue, or some kind of antenna issue. Both fobs have been tried again and again with new batteries, they both transmit a signal but nothing is being teceived by the vehicle. I also checked the relevant fuses and they all seemed fine. Hoping this isnt a super expensive fix and if there is anything i can do because i already spent a lot for the new fob and diagnostic mechanic fees. Anyone with any knowledge on these issues please reply or contact me i would greatly appreciate it!!!

Back