USB cable

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogface

First post since buying.
2015 i3 REX 50K miles

Question: Tucked under the passenger visor is a wound up small gauge wire that ends with a USB flat connection that is the end you would use to plug into a port, not the end that plugs into a device like a phone for example.
The wire leads down behind the A pillar cover. I have no idea where it terminates. The cable is long enough to plug into the center USB port between the front seats. Nothing seems to happen when I plug it in. No, change to the AUX connect for media.
I am perplexed.
Any ideas what it might be for?

Could be, but the cable is backwards if that's the case.
The big flat end is the end that is accessible.
Super strange.

Understood. Had certainly not thought it was OEM.
The mystery continues.

Have a great weekend ahead.

That is perplexing! As I recall, the glove box comes out fairly easily with six screws, which might give you access to see where the wire goes. Depends on how curious you are, I guess!

John Francis
Rolla, MO

It is common practice to run a cable down the A Pillar to have it connect to the Fuse Box, which is accessed under the glove box on the passenger side. Look up how to access the fuse box in your owner's manual (it is just a pair of twist knobs to remove the cover) and see if you can find the other end of the cable.

Back