Drivetrain emergency release

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aptech54

New drivetrain error I've never seen and can't find info online. 2015 BMW i3 basic
the i3 will not go into Drive or Reverse, will only activate Park and Neutral

Message says:
Drivetrain emergency release
Only transport vehicle on a loading platform.
risk of vehicle damage if towed.
Vehicle may be maneuvered briefly in accordance with the instructions in the owners manual.

Does anyone know where the drivetrain release is located?

If you don't have a physical Owner's Manual available there is an Owner's Manual available through the iDrive interface. Hopefully yours has enough battery left to read it!

I've not heard of this error message before but it would seem it is not asking you to "release the Drivetrain".
Instead it is telling you that ,- due to some emergency condition-, the Drivetrain has been released from being engaged, and you have a choice of Park or Neutral but the motor cannot be used to power the vehicle.

This partially reminds me of when the parking pawl on my '17 began acting up. It locked my car in park. I had to open the rear cover and knock on it with a wrench to get it to release. But I don't recall ever seeing the message you're releasing, just the generic "drivetrain malfunction" message.

I'm trying to re-engage the emergency release so I can move the car, that's why I'm trying to locate the emergency release mechanism

It sounds like we're taking about different things, but in case we're not, here's photos of the module that contains the parking pawl that locks the transmission from turning.

As for how to manually release it, I'm not sure. I tapped on it with a wrench, but the other option is to remove it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GkoQkpakPwD95YVT7

eNate said:
It sounds like we're taking about different things, but in case we're not, here's photos of the module that contains the parking pawl that locks the transmission from turning.

As for how to manually release it, I'm not sure. I tapped on it with a wrench, but the other option is to remove it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GkoQkpakPwD95YVT7

thanks for the pics, I did take a look at that module, it has a motor with a gear and only indicates two positions: Park and Neutral maybe it can be manually moved to a position other than park and neutral. I will try that and post results.
btw the connector on that module is not soldered to the internal PCB (funny way of connecting components)

there is a sequence of selecting positions on the drive / neutral / reverse selector to put the car in a neutral state for the purpose of pushing the vehicle off a road for instance when the drivers door is open and the vehicle would normally lock the park pawl.

I think your warning message is saying the car has been put in that state.

sounds like a sofware glitch have you checked the 12V battery or maybe shut down the HV interlock and power back up again ?

Back