Steering rack problems

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pymlang

I have a 2015 i3 REX with slightly stiff steering. I actually didn't notice a problem until the dealership told me, and now I've noticed that it is indeed slightly heavy to turn the wheel, and it doesn't always center/straighten out when I let go of the wheel.

It does feel slightly heavy, and the dealership is telling me the steering rack is corroded and needs replacing. And the replacement is apparently quite expensive just for the part alone, plus sensors have to be reprogrammed.

I've read a few posts about complaints of heavy steering, but most pertain to software updates or intermittent issues.

The dealership claims that if I just leave it, it may eventually seize on me. I cannot find any mention of a steering rack being stiff due to corrosion, and although I can drive the car with no problem (I suppose I am used to the feel), I obviously don't want this to possibly seize while driving and be unsafe.

Has anyone heard of this issue before? I'm just wondering if the dealership is just trying to scare me to cough up close to $6K (Cdn) for repairs.

Back