Regen feels softer in my late 2018 REX vs early 2018 REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agzand

I had an early 2018 i3 REX 94ah (Deka) that I sold. I always felt that car had a very strong regen. Earlier this year I purchased a late 2018 i3REX 94ah Giga. The cars should be mechanically identical. However I feel regen is weaker in the new car. Sometimes it cannot bring the car to a full stop if there is a small incline. The new car has lower mileage and slightly higher usable capacity.

I am not sure if this is due to BMW changing regen level by default mid 2018 or some sort of software update that one of the cars has and the other one doesn't have. Anyone had similar experience?

Hmm... When I switched from a 2017 to a 2021, I didn't detect any difference, and I switched between both cars daily for the couple of weeks I owned then simultaneously.

Any chance you have a custom tune such as the Sport mode mod that a previous owner performed on the newer car?

No custom tunes that I can tell. In my single dealer visit for oil change they told me there is software update for the new car available, but I didn't have time to do it at that visit.

Could it have something to do with the REX weighing 265 pounds more than the BEV? The regeneration being forced to bring more weight to a halt?

Both cars are REX model. They are supposed to be mechanically identical.

My guess is that the two cars are running on different software, the newer car has softer regen due to newer software. However I am not sure.

I noticed that the regen is weaker when the battery is above 97% or when the weather is cold.

Back