Battery Monitor BM2 users- stuck on synchronizing?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egbert

I installed the 12V battery monitor that several folks here have recommended, and it seemed great at first. However, in the past couple of days, I seem to be stuck on "synchronizing data," and this locks you out of doing anything else with the app. Can't changes settings, nothing. I've tried restarting the app, restarting my phone, etc. I've tried leaving my phone on the hood of the car in the garage for a few hours to no avail.
I'm using an iPhone8, followed the instructions to always allow location services. Any ideas?

I use the same app and every once in awhile it loses the data for a day or more. I've not had it "stuck" synchronizing though.
What version are you on? mine is 3.3.13 It should work fine on iPhone 8 I do NOT allow it to access LOCATION SERVICES though. perhaps that is the issue. Here is what my settings look like:

Srjc6M8.jpg

EvanstonI3 said:
What version are you on? mine is 3.3.13 It should work fine on iPhone 8 I do NOT allow it to access LOCATION SERVICES though. perhaps that is the issue.
I'm also running 3.3.13. I have location services always on in hopes that this would trigger data transfer from the monitor to my iPhone via Bluetooth whenever I approach our i3. I frequently don't drive for several days, but I occasionally walk past our parked i3 and want data to be transferred automatically which seems to be happening.

My app has not hung while synchronizing data. Maybe the firmware on the monitor has hung. Although it could be a pain to do, Egbert, you might try briefly disconnecting the monitor to see whether restarting its firmware might clear up the problem. Unfortunately, doing so might also result in data loss.

The app offers a firmware update possibility. Maybe your firmware needs updating. It also offers online service where you could ask for support which might be worth doing.

Thanks. I moved the car outside and moved the phone to the back of the house. That's far enough away to disconnect the bluetooth, and then I get functionality of the app back. I can now see historical data up until midnight last night, so the app appears to be getting something at least. And I can see the real-time battery voltage if the app gets stuck on the main screen, including the short term chart and time.
When it's synching, though, I can't do anything else- no access to settings menu to even try to update firmware (which I thought was up-to-date when I installed it, but can't recall for sure).

I'll power cycle it later by lifting a lead, see if that does anything.

Yesterday, I let my phone go completely dead, so it was off for a couple of hours. When I powered back up, the app started working normally... until last night. At precisely 00:12:10, bluetooth connection dropped and won't come back. The unit is still properly connected to the battery, restarting the app/phone and cycling bluetooth doesn't help. I put the app on an iPad, and it won't find the monitor either.

So I suppose I'm removing it tomorrow, and will ask for a replacement or refund. On a good note, the 4.5 year old battery appears to be holding >12.5VDC just fine, so I'm good for a bit more. I'll probably just replace it this spring/summer no matter what.

This really sounds like the device and not the app since it won't work on the iPad as well. If you can, remove it from the Negative Terminal on the battery for a few seconds and then re-attach it and see if that helps "reboot" it.

Yes it seems the device failed. I haven't been able to get it to connect again, I've tried a couple of iDevices, their support team sent me a Beta version to test, etc... nothing. I'm returning it for warranty.

Back