On-center steering feel

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr8

I recently bought my first i3 (2014 base with 7500 miles). So far it's been great, but it doesn't have the same on-center steering feel as my previous 325ci or M235i. If the wheel is nudged slightly off-center at any speed, it tends to stay there and not spring back to center quickly. Otherwise, the steering feels tight and responsive. Is this normal? I can't remember if the i3's I test drove were like this.

Through the years, BMW and many other car companies have switched to electrically controlled steering, and most people don't like it as well. It does continue to improve, but it isn't to the level of the best hydraulic systems. That being said, and trying to think about how the i3 drives verses my older GT which has hydraulic steering pump, the i3 has a bit less feel, and doesn't have as much self-centering out of a turn. I don't really think about it, and don't have an issue when I get back into the GT for a long drive. The biggest thing on the differences is how they each coast, and getting started...the ICE doesn't slow down much when you let off the pedal at all, and there's always that slight delay when getting started (not counting the creep!).

One way to reduce rolling resistance and thus increase efficiency is to reduce front suspension toe-in so that there is less tire scrubbing when driving straight ahead. But this can also reduce the self-centering force. However, I don't know whether the i3 has less front toe-in than BMW's ICE vehicles.

mine had the same, solved after software upgrade (jan 2018).
so call the dealer.....

2017 BMW I3 steering stiff, not centering when driving, dangerous at internet speed because car would not drive in a straight line, constant correcting necessary.
The BMW dealer insisted there is nothing wrong with the steering.
So I bought a used 2017 steering rack form a junk yard to learn about how the steering works.
And that one was also hard to turn. So I took it apart and found why it is hard to turn and therefore the
tires are not able to center themselves.
I uploaded a video about this and the fix for others to see.

Jan 06, 2023: Moderator edit to remove link to video that no longer exists on YouTube.

Hbrand said:
2017 BMW I3 steering stiff, not centering when driving, dangerous at internet speed because car would not drive in a straight line, constant correcting necessary.
The BMW dealer insisted there is nothing wrong with the steering.
So I bought a used 2017 steering rack form a junk yard to learn about how the steering works.
And that one was also hard to turn. So I took it apart and found why it is hard to turn and therefore the
tires are not able to center themselves.
I uploaded a video about this and the fix for others to see.
Thanks for posting this! Our 2014 i3 hasn't self-centered very well since it was new. I have to make small steering corrections to keep from drifting out of my lane. Unfortunately, the steering friction is enough that when I try to make a small correction, nothing happens until I use a little more force which then tends to overcorrect. Over 8+ years, I've gotten accustomed to this, but it's not like driving other cars I've owned. Your fix might be worth trying.

I think I have the same problem, but I am unable to see the video

What was the solution?

The short term solution is to turn the car off and on again. This happens once in a blue moon, so once you turn the car off and on it is most probably gone. The long term solution is a software update from BMW.

I think my issue is not software related it is always there, it feels like too much friction. I have already changed strut bearings, but it did not really help. Did anyone see the video (i am unable) and recall what the solution was?

This seems to be the default steering feel. Tight and twitchy. The pulling left or right is a software fix but in mine that is updated it still has happened twice. It happens right away when you start the car, I just pull over turn off the car and wait 1 minute all good, hasn't happened in 4 months.

I have gotten used to the steering, but when I drive my wife's Kia with super light steering my brain needs a reboot. especially with coasting and no regen braking. I have been unable to find that original video in this thread unfortunately.

Thanks for the answer, but is it normal that it will not self-center fully, it lacks like 20..30 degrees or so on the wheel, I will need to add a slight pull for the last bit.
The car is new for me and i am unsure if this is just normal ;-)

Mine does center, I do run 2 psi over the recommended tire pressure though. If you have a Carmax or equivalent no hassle dealer near you, take another i3 for test drive to see if it feels the same or different to yours.

It doesn’t sound normal, but each person perception of normal is different. My previous car had heavy steering and really wide tires so it wasn’t a big jump in feel. If I was coming from my wife’s car to the i3 it would have been a shock.

Keep us posted what you find.

From two weeks I'm the owner of a 2019 i3S and I'm really happy about it except the steering... like yours it not going to center in the last 20 degrees and feeling like I'm always trying to keep it straight.

I have updated all available modules with I-Step I001-22-11-510 but there are no updates for the EPS module.

Anybody here was able to solve this issue?

Back