REX drain plug rounded out

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangocash

During last year's oil change on the REX, I noticed the internal hex head of the drain plug is soft and starting to round out. Fast forward to this year's oil change and, even being careful with it, the socket wrench instantly stripped when I tried to unscrew it. I now have a stuck oil pan plug and I'm looking for advice on how I can try and remove it besides taking a pair of pliers to the outside edge. Maybe take a cutting wheel to the end to create slots like a giant Phillips head screw?

And once I have the plug removed, I'll need to find a better quality replacement plug and I'm wondering if anyone else has found a good quality version they can point me to?

agzand said:

I didn't realize they made this sort of tool for typical hex bolts but, in the case of an i3, the drain plug is an INTERNAL hex, not external. Here's an image of a plug similar to mine. All of the BMW plugs I've looked at appear very similar to this, but none of the sites confirm fitment with the i3 specifically. If anyone could tell me the sizing of the drain opening, that may make shopping for a new plug easier.
open-uri20150527-20723-11dz721.

I would try a set of Vice-Grips (not just pliers) to the outside edge to get it started to remove. Vice-Grips have teeth and clamp down pretty firmly.

tangocash said:
agzand said:

I didn't realize they made this sort of tool for typical hex bolts but, in the case of an i3, the drain plug is an INTERNAL hex, not external. Here's an image of a plug similar to mine. All of the BMW plugs I've looked at appear very similar to this, but none of the sites confirm fitment with the i3 specifically. If anyone could tell me the sizing of the drain opening, that may make shopping for a new plug easier.

That would be even more common, you can find in Home Depot as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-...=bolt+extractor+internal,aps,166&sr=8-19&th=1

agzand said:
tangocash said:
agzand said:

That would be even more common, you can find in Home Depot as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-...=bolt+extractor+internal,aps,166&sr=8-19&th=1

Looks like my safest way to get the plug off, thanks.

Now if only I could find a replacement plug...

How did you get on with extracting the sump bolt?

I had a crazy thought that you could drill all the way through the bolt, then drain the oil, then get a bolt extractor tool on it. The trouble with the bolt extractor tool is they need depth to get purchase. I wouldn’t have thought claw grips would work.

Worst case, get local garage to weld a nut onto it and extract that way. Just go for BMW part to replace. One tip, wire brush the hammer bit in to shock it, then undo.

spartacus68 said:
How did you get on with extracting the sump bolt?

I had a crazy thought that you could drill all the way through the bolt, then drain the oil, then get a bolt extractor tool on it. The trouble with the bolt extractor tool is they need depth to get purchase. I wouldn’t have thought claw grips would work.

Worst case, get local garage to weld a nut onto it and extract that way. Just go for BMW part to replace. One tip, wire brush the hammer bit in to shock it, then undo.
A great solution. Thank you for your sharing.
coreball

Back