Front passenger door check strap

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collings290

I need to replace the front passenger door check strap on an early i3 REX. I took it to a decent bodyshop and they took the interior door card off and found a large aluminium door frame which stopped access to the check strap. They are saying need to remove the door and then the inside door frame. Does anyone have experience of this and tips on the best way to do it? The bodyshop is good, but no experience of working on i3s. Any help much appreciated. Thanks. Patrick

This is not the first time I have heard of this. Passenger door being over-extended by a gust of wind or something. Of course I have no clue where I read about this and the resolution (if any), was it here? or Reddit? or one of the FB Groups? aargh

collings290 said:
I need to replace the front passenger door check strap on an early i3 REX. I took it to a decent bodyshop and they took the interior door card off and found a large aluminium door frame which stopped access to the check strap. They are saying need to remove the door and then the inside door frame. Does anyone have experience of this and tips on the best way to do it?
According to BMW's TIS, the procedure to remove the door stop includes:

• Remove door trim panel
• Remove front door
• Remove 2 screws that attach door stop to door
• Feed out door stop from door

It's not clear to me why the door would have to be removed or how the stop is fed out of the door. The illustrations aren't that clear to me. Maybe the stop is removed by reaching around behind the frame to pull the stop toward the opening in the frame (i.e., toward the rear of the door).

Good luck!

Back