Buying another i3, some coding questions.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudog3114

I had an i3 before that I coded for HSOC, Extra Capacity, and TJA with the quidzel. I want to do the same on the next one I get. I believe it was 2016, but when the commute stopped for covid I sold it. Now that I'm back to commuting I am thinking of getting another, I am seeing them out there for sub 20k pretty regularly. Just a few questions

- I plan on coding for hold state of charge, this can be done on any rex, yes?
- I also plan on coding for traffic jam assist (steering in slow traffic); I believe you just need the adaptive cruise buttons to know whether or not this will work but does it work on all models from 14 up?
- If you could remind me... adaptive cruise control from the factory brings it to a stop and holds it, right? Or am I remembering wrong?
- Also, TJA steers, brings it to a stop, and resumes again with no user interaction, right?

Just trying to refresh my memory, thanks!

loudog3114 said:
Yes

loudog3114 said:
- If you could remind me... adaptive cruise control from the factory brings it to a stop and holds it, right?
Yes, adaptive cruise control (ACC) would stop an i3 if a vehicle ahead is stopping. An i3 won't roll backward when stopped in D but could roll forward if the road is descending. ACC is included in the U.S. only with the Technology Package which many used i3's don't have.

I have no experience with TJA.

loudog3114 said:
I had an i3 before that I coded for HSOC, Extra Capacity, and TJA with the quidzel. I want to do the same on the next one I get. I believe it was 2016, but when the commute stopped for covid I sold it. Now that I'm back to commuting I am thinking of getting another, I am seeing them out there for sub 20k pretty regularly. Just a few questions

- I also plan on coding for traffic jam assist (steering in slow traffic); I believe you just need the adaptive cruise buttons to know whether or not this will work but does it work on all models from 14 up?
- If you could remind me... adaptive cruise control from the factory brings it to a stop and holds it, right? Or am I remembering wrong?
- Also, TJA steers, brings it to a stop, and resumes again with no user interaction, right? Papa's Burgeria

Just trying to refresh my memory, thanks!

Thanks post! Do you still use the i3? By now there are many new versions that are more intelligent

Hold State of Charge (HSOC) can be coded on any BMW i3 with a Range Extender (REX), which includes all model years of the i3. So yes, you can code for HSOC on any REX i3.
Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) is a feature that is available on i3s equipped with the Technology Package, which includes Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Stop & Go. This package was available on all i3s from 2014 onwards. To use TJA, you will need to retrofit the required hardware and software, which includes the camera and sensor module, wiring harness, and control unit. Retrofitting TJA is a complex process and requires specialized knowledge, so it's recommended to have a professional install it for you.
Yes, BMW's Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Stop & Go can bring the car to a complete stop and hold it there until the traffic starts moving again. This feature is available on i3s equipped with the Technology Package.
TJA is a feature that works in conjunction with ACC and provides steering assistance in slow-moving traffic. When TJA is activated, it will take over steering and maintain the car's position in the lane, bring the car to a stop, and resume driving when traffic starts moving again. The driver does not need to intervene as long as their hands remain on the steering wheel.

Phil0110 said:
Yes, BMW's Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Stop & Go can bring the car to a complete stop and hold it there until the traffic starts moving again. This feature is available on i3s equipped with the Technology Package.
The exception to this is when stopping on a descending road. The i3's hill hold works only to prevent an i3 from rolling backward on an ascending or flat road, and it doesn't hold well when the road is ascending fairly steeply (at least, my i3's haven't).

Back