Owning a REx in Arizona

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imchrisd

So I just bought a 2016 i3 REx thinking that I'm helping save the earth as I do mostly running around town but I wanted the REX for emergencies so I wouldn't get stranded. But I soon found out the Arizona doesn't consider the REX an electric vehicle so there is no incentive for driving one here. But I would think if I purchased an electric truck and carried around a generator in the back that would be considered an EV. Doesn't make sense.

The statue read something like 'A vehicle solely powered by electricity' which mine is so...

So if Arizona doesnt care I might as well go back to driving my gas guzzling pollution causing Toyota Highlander...

Thanks for letting me vent. :evil:

imchrisd said:
So if Arizona doesnt care I might as well go back to driving my gas guzzling pollution causing Toyota Highlander...

Do what's right for you.

By that logic, if the pilot wants to crash the airplane into the mountainside, I may as well go back to watching the inflight movie.

The i3 is a great car and your (initial) logic is sound. If it's not too much of a compromise, buy one. And if you haven't taken a more critical look at a BEV model, do so.

eNate said:
imchrisd said:

Do what's right for you.

By that logic, if the pilot wants to crash the airplane into the mountainside, I may as well go back to watching the inflight movie.

The i3 is a great car and your (initial) logic is sound. If it's not too much of a compromise, buy one. And if you haven't taken a more critical look at a BEV model, do so.

I'm just venting, frustrated at the ignorance of AZDOT...

For your reference: In Illinois, my BEV is consider an Electric Vehicle, gets "EV" plates and an extra $100/year added to the Registration to make up for no gas taxes paid.

If it was a REX, it would NOT have to pay the extra $100/year, it does NOT get EV plates AND it is required to get Emissions testing done after the first 4 years (I think).

The problem with the REX is that there is nothing else like it out there so it gets lumped in with HYBRIDS. They are not going to take on a special case for a vehicle when there are only a few hundred in each State. If the vehicle was still manufactured and available there might be a case.

imchrisd said:
So I just bought a 2016 i3 REx thinking that I'm helping save the earth as I do mostly running around town but I wanted the REX for emergencies so I wouldn't get stranded. But I soon found out the Arizona doesn't consider the REX an electric vehicle so there is no incentive for driving one here. But I would think if I purchased an electric truck and carried around a generator in the back that would be considered an EV. Doesn't make sense.

The statue read something like 'A vehicle solely powered by electricity' which mine is so...

Thanks for letting me vent. :evil:

I'm neither conservative nor "liberal"...or leftist which is more accurate of a term. But the more I look, the more I realize both sides are as dumb and myopic as each other and really are far more similar in their poor traits than not. Unfortunately, in more conservative states, it seems their beliefs regarding environmental issues is non-existent and their illogical rules and regulations reflect their ideology.

Not that the leftist states are any better by forcing things down our throats. There seems to be no logic, common sense, or reason from either side. Just agenda driven, greed-based laws that fill their pockets from some entity.

I know that's a long-winded response to your venting. But at the end of the day, you do what your conscience tells you what's decent and not. Not what a corrupt, agenda driven local, or state government tells you to do.

I'm also in AZ with a 2018 Rex.
Yes, it's unfortunate. MVD changed their definition of vehicles a few years back. We used to qualify for clean air plates AND more importantly access to the diamond lane during rush hour. Now any vehicle with a gas motor of any kind is no longer qualified for the clean air plates and privileges. Hey, if it helps, ALL Prius owners had to or have to lose their clean air plates too. This is in line with other states who are adopting similar policies. Only "pure" EVs qualify <sigh>.

greenrongreen said:
I'm also in AZ with a 2018 Rex.
Yes, it's unfortunate. MVD changed their definition of vehicles a few years back. We used to qualify for clean air plates AND more importantly access to the diamond lane during rush hour. Now any vehicle with a gas motor of any kind is no longer qualified for the clean air plates and privileges. Hey, if it helps, ALL Prius owners had to or have to lose their clean air plates too. This is in line with other states who are adopting similar policies. Only "pure" EVs qualify <sigh>.

Thanks for the reply. Misery loves company. :|
It's funny that California considers them an EV (as pointed out out by the HOV lane sticker on the back of my car that came from California).

Back