I3 won't charge. Dealer has tried 3 things and wants do a 4th for $10k

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiahbusc

Our 2016 I3 REX, with less than 10k miles, stopped charging for no apparent reason. We have 2 of the BMW level 1 chargers and tried both, no luck. We bought the car 1 year ago and this is the first issue we've had with it.

The dealership tried a software update, replacing the battery in the REX, and replacing the KLM. Now they want to replace the EME for $10,000, but still can't guarantee that will fix it. They say the battery is not showing any issues on their scan.

Has anyone run into this? Any advice? Why is it so hard for the dealership to diagnose it correctly? It feels like they are just guessing.

Kiahbusc said:
Our 2016 I3 REX, with less than 10k miles, stopped charging for no apparent reason. We have 2 of the BMW level 1 chargers and tried both, no luck. We bought the car 1 year ago and this is the first issue we've had with it.

The dealership tried a software update, replacing the battery in the REX, and replacing the KLM. Now they want to replace the EME for $10,000, but still can't guarantee that will fix it. They say the battery is not showing any issues on their scan.

Has anyone run into this? Any advice? Why is it so hard for the dealership to diagnose it correctly? It feels like they are just guessing.

Hmm... I don't have any experience with this but in case it helps anyone more knowledgeable, what happens when you plug it in? Does the charge port light come on/ does the car acknowledge that it has been plugged in and attempt to charge? Any error messages on the dash? I'm assuming the dealer tried charging it as well on their own EVSE and that failed as well?

You got options:

Go to a different Dealer.

Get OBD2 reader and read the codes.

And the Universal answer to all BMW i3 electric problems:

75cc4j.jpg

If you haven't changed the 12V battery yet - this would be good starting point. It causes all sorts of random errors.

Back