BEV No Heat, Again...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eXodus said:
Very interesting I found a HVAC reset on reddit:

"There is a "hidden" reset that might work, try turning the temp-knob to the lowest and up to the highest setting 6 times fast."

https://www.reddit.com/r/BMWi3/comments/z772y1/2017_i3_hot_air_isnt_working/

I've tried that yesterday evening - didn't do anything then - but this morning when driving to work I had heat again.

Going to keep you posted if it keeps working.

Huh interesting indeed, keep us updated!

eXodus said:
Does anyone know how to check to software version of the I-Level?
Using an iDrive command, back up your driver profiles to an empty USB flash drive inserted into the USB port in the center console. After the backup has completed, plug this flash drive into a USB port on a computer and open the *.mpd file on this flash drive in a text editor. This is a human-readable XML file. The value of the i-step tag is the integration level. This is the i-step entry for our 2019 BEV:

<i-step>I001-18-11-547</i-step>

I001-18-11-547 indicates a November, 2018, integration level.

SSi3 said:
Huh interesting indeed, keep us updated!

I didn't have heat for 2 Months, my car was at the dealership to diagnose the error for about one week. And they told me the resistance heater needs to be changed. (it had an error code) because if the giant price tag - I declined the service and wondered why I need resistance heating with a heatpump.

Now the second day after the 6X HVAC reset - nice hot air driving at 50F outside. :)

I even heard the heatpump starting when I left the garage. Which didn't do anything before.

I still have heat when it's cold (40s-50s) - but it's not heating when it's just a bit chilly. (60s)

When I checked the car produced a new error code 80128E :

801252 ELECTRIC A/C COMPRESSOR: INTERNAL FAULT DETECTED
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10147036-9999.pdf

also apparently related to Integration Level. So I'm going to have to get the cars software updated before I do any more troubleshooting

yeah my 14k i3 also had the heat pump replaced by dealer. Picked up a used one for 100 bucks for future failure. wonder if we can retrofit tesla octavalve heat pump....

the BMW heat pump compressor is pretty reliable.

The Tesla compressor is not any better. Many had them replaced as well.

The i3 HVAC system is pretty well designed and actually fairly simple. Not a weird mess like in the i4 or other European ICE platform converted EVs.

BMW parts are just expensive. Tesla parts are not cheaper.

Back