How much has your electric bill increased?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve999 said:
Question for ENATE: I have the PGE plan EV2-A just south of you and per my daily usage graphs, my off-peak rate is $0.24/kwh, peak rate at 43 cents/kwh (was 56 cents/kwh this summer). Your new plan is significantly lower than what I'm paying based on your graph. What plan are you currently signed up for? I'm also signed up with the East Bay Community Power (which makes deciphering the bill even more difficult). Wondering If I need to make some phone calls to PGE... Needless to say, this is making my power bill nuts this year! Thanks.

PG&E has a tool on their website that can tell you how changing to a different rate plan will impact your bill. Obviously t is not 100% accurate, but it uses your past usage pattern to compare your anticipated cost in the future.

Here in Hawaii our KWh costs have skyrocketed during the last year and we only have one electric company for the state. :| :|

We used to pay $.33 a KWh last year but this year it is $.43 a KWh.

No TOU where I live in Honolulu but I have a PV system that helps somewhat. I always charge at home.

I only drive about 250 miles a month and usually my EV charging cost runs about $30-$35 a month extra.

I'm new to the forum and I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking at getting an i3 and was curious about the electric bill too. I've heard different stories about it, but I don't think anyone can answer without trying it out for themselves. I'm in a similar situation as you, where I can't justify the cost of 2017, but I'm worried about the battery life of 2016. My advice would be to check out https://yenex.com and look at the information they offer. That might give you some peace of mind. I'd also suggest talking to people who own an i3 and seeing what their experience has been like.

zoejogle said:
I'm new to the forum and I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking at getting an i3 and was curious about the electric bill too. I've heard different stories about it, but I don't think anyone can answer without trying it out for themselves.

You can definitely get very close.

The i3 has a reference consumption of 1 kWh for every 4.5 miles driven. That's what I've ended up with in ABRP – you can certainly go more conservative with 4.0 mi/kWh.

It's really as simple as estimating how many miles are driven monthly on average, understanding the price per kWh the utility is charging, and doing the math.

Allow about 10% for conversion losses while L2 charging and that's all there is to it.

Depending on the utility and rate plan, charging the EV may bump the per-kWh rate into the next pricing tier, but again, that will all be outlined by the utility.

As for estimating mileage, I used my Google Maps data to review a whole years worth of driving and not only came up with a good number, but was also surprised how infrequently I exceed 100 miles in a day. That was basically the convincing I needed to initially buy a 2017 i3 with "only" 135 miles range.

Steve999 said:
Question for ENATE: I have the PGE plan EV2-A just south of you and per my daily usage graphs, my off-peak rate is $0.24/kwh, peak rate at 43 cents/kwh (was 56 cents/kwh this summer). Your new plan is significantly lower than what I'm paying based on your graph. What plan are you currently signed up for? I'm also signed up with the East Bay Community Power (which makes deciphering the bill even more difficult). Wondering If I need to make some phone calls to PGE... Needless to say, this is making my power bill nuts this year! Thanks.
Apologies, didn't see your question. I'm also on the EV2A plan, but those rates I posted are from 3½ years ago.

Back