Buying advice - 2014 or 2019

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I'm new and have been reading a lot. You all seem like nice people.

I'm wanting to buy a car and its come down to a 2014 (16k) or 2019 (30k). I don't want a range extender on it. I feel like I missed out on the lower priced used cars not that its 2023.

I'm leaning towards the 2019 because of I have heard it has a better suspension and I worry Los Angeles streets and freeways are always in rough shape. I also prefer Apple airplay and the brown leather seats (really beautiful). It's going to be a city car, so range isn't that big an issue.

Get what I want or save money? What do you suggest?

Last note - I like the rims on the 2014, they look space-aged.

Hi David and welcome.

Easy stuff first, the wheels and the interior vary by trim so you'll see options if you're not locked in to just those two cars you seem to have settled on.

You mention suspension and ride quality: definitely opt for the 19" wheels if this is important to you. Comfier rider and a bit more resistant to pinch flatting on pothole-riddled streets.

I'd avoid the 2014 only because there are a greater propensity of problems there: faster battery degradation, A/C compressors that munch themselves, weak motor mounts are the ones that pop immediately to mind. Plus no telematics (remotely climatizing the car is a wonderful feature).

2017 and the "halfway" battery is a much better year to start in.

2019 is good -- you get the 120 Ah battery and the facelift with the much improved headlights. But $30k sounds a little bit high.

You may not "need" the larger battery, but consider it from a longevity perspective: A 20 kWh battery may need to be topped off every two days, meaning you're putting the equivalent of 2 full charge/discharge cycles on it per week. The later model 40 kWh battery, driven the same number of daily miles, is only going to see 1 full cycle per week. Looking strictly at a battery's lifespan rated in charge cycles, the larger battery ought to suffer only half the degradation for a given number of miles.

Anyhow, don't put too much pressure on yourself to choose between these two cars. There are lots out there. That's a big difference between '14 and '19, and you're ignoring the sweet spot '17 and '18 which may offer the best bang for the buck with a few compromises.

Thanks for the reply. I've calmed down and considering the 2017. Lots to think about.

Is there any reason the BEV (or base mode) is rare and the REX is everywhere in used circles? Everything I see for sale is Range Extended.

The 2019 is 27,900 but with shipping and taxes it should be well over $30,000. Is that still on the high side?

I would actually suggest a 2018 BEV. You will still save money, but you will have the facelifted car with several improvements and better reliability.

DavidMatterall said:
Is there any reason the BEV (or base mode) is rare and the REX is everywhere in used circles? Everything I see for sale is Range Extended.
A considerably higher percentage of REx models were sold new than BEV models, probably especially 2014-2016 models whose range wasn't very high.

All I can add is do what you can to find one with the Harmon Kardon upgrade. That is my only regret.

On the suspension, I am in Chicago and the streets are even worse, no suspension will save us.

Hi You might also consider the Chevy Bolt if you're going to spend that much money on a 2019 i3. A fully loaded Bolt is around 30k. I just picked one up in January and am here learning about the i3 to get as a 2nd car. Love the Bolt and the long 260mile range, just looking for a cheap EV for the few days my wife and I need two cars.

I'm looking at a 2017+REX even though I don't need the REX, It comes with a 2 year longer warranty on the battery, to me that's worth it.(only if you're in California).

Hard to find one with all the options I want, Looking for the TERA trim, HK speakers parking and the active driving packages. Found some 2015 for about $15k but I can't find any 2017 yet. I've been looking at the pricing and these cars are all going down in price roughly 500-800 a month. I think when Tesla drop their prices it made an impact on these other EVs.

handel said:
I'm looking at a 2017+REX even though I don't need the REX, It comes with a 2 year longer warranty on the battery, to me that's worth it.(only if you're in California).
The 94 Ah battery cells in a 2017 i3 have been much more resistant to degradation than earlier 60 Ah battery cells in 2014-2016 i3's, so I wouldn't buy the more complex, less reliable, and 10% heavier REx just for its longer battery pack warranty. With a REx, annual internal combustion engine maintenance is recommended including an oil and oil filter change. This is twice as often as the recommended 2-year BEV maintenance which is only a brake fluid change.

Just to counter all the negative comments about the REX here, I'll add that I am currently on my second i3 REX, and love it! For anyone who is contemplating a 60-or-so mile range vehicle, I think a REX is a great option. I still drive on battery for 95% of my driving, but the addition of the REX (and Hold State of Charge coding) makes the i3 a much more useful car, allowing me to actually take it out of town if I want. Yes, you will have to deal with the annual $200 oil change (if you don't want to DIY), but IMHO, it's worth it.

John Francis
Rolla, MO

I also love my REX, my second one. Obviously it has some additional maintenance and potential issues. But it makes the car more versatile. The combination of EV range and ability to run on gas if needed is unique and very useful.

agzand said:
I also love my REX, my second one. Obviously it has some additional maintenance and potential issues. But it makes the car more versatile. The combination of EV range and ability to run on gas if needed is unique and very useful.

To REx or Not REx, that is the question.. I’ve had two of them, and when I need to make a 150mi (one way trip) I never have to worry about a L3 charger being full. I just keep rolling and fill ‘er up.

Thank you all for your help and good advice.

I opted to get the 2019 and I'm thrilled to be part of this community now. Your comments were very helpful.

Welcome! You will fall in love with this car. I sold my first one and in less than a year decided to buy another one.

DavidMatterall said:
Thanks for the reply. I've calmed down and considering the 2017. Lots to think about.

The 2019 is 27,900 but with shipping and taxes it should be well over $30,000. Is that still on the high side?

David, I just bought a 2018 BEV a couple of weeks ago with 24K miles on it. I paid about 23K before taxes here in Ohio. Nationwide prices for the 2019 seem to hover right around the 27,900 you mentioned in your post. If you keep looking, I'm sure you'll find the one you really want.

Back