Do modifications void warranty?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about your 8-year battery warranty? I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I take my 2015 i3 REX to the dealer annually for its maintenance, and they've never commented on the HSOC, and I did have some minor warranty work done on it once. HSOC makes the car so much more useful!

John Francis
Rolla, MO

I think if you had a REX problem they could try to blame it on hold state of charge. But for other components it is unlikely.

Based on what I have seen on forums, in reality people who use the REX more frequently have fewer issues with it. We all know that HSC is a factory setting in European cars, so in reality it is very difficult to defend such an argument. But manufacturers will try all sort of things to deny an expensive warranty.

The best thing to do is to reverse HSC before taking in to dealer for warranty work. They can still dig engine logs and find out if HSC was enabled at some point, but there is a good chance that they will not go through this hassle if they don't see the option activated.

Back