need a new (backup) key fob...looking for guidance

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbt12

Tried searching for articles, but I was not able to find one that totally matched my issues.

Currently I own a 2017 BMW i3 REx purchased in Oct 2019. Replaced batteries once already on the one that I use all the time. This last time, I replaced the battery, no luck. The new battery works fine in my spare so, I believe one fob is dead.

I would like to purchase a backup, but I assume that going to the dealer will cost me quite a bit. This older thread ---- https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3465 --- listed $400+ from a dealer. Is this still the price or has it gone up since this older thread came out?

From what I have been reading on this forum and on internet in general, is that I just need a generic BMW i3 key fob, and then I can just "pair" it to my car. If there are non-BMW dealer sources for replacement fobs, I would love to get a reference or 2.

Thanx for any help!

fbt12 said:
From what I have been reading on this forum and on internet in general, is that I just need a generic BMW i3 key fob, and then I can just "pair" it to my car.
I have never had to replace a fob. However, the reports I have read indicate that a used i3 or new "generic" BMW fob cannot be paired to an i3. Instead, BMW must program a fob to the VIN or one's i3, with proof of ownership required. Once a fob has been programmed to a specific VIN, it cannot be reprogrammed to a different VIN. Only a certain number of fobs can ever be programmed to start a particular i3, so don't lose too many.

BMW apparently must be involved with programming a new fob, so it's probably not possible to buy a "cheap" fob that works or can be made to work. BimmerTech sells a programmed i3 fob for $485. Their pitch is that you don't have to visit a dealer to order and then pick up the fob; it's all done on-line.

fbt12 said:
From what I have been reading on this forum and on internet in general, is that I just need a generic BMW i3 key fob, and then I can just "pair" it to my car.

If that were true, then anyone could simply get in your car with a generic BMW key fob, "pair" it to the car and drive off.

Thanx for the info alohart & EvanstonI3.

Scheduled an appointment with local dealership to check out my remote. I was able to start the car with it (door unlocked and key fob placed on the marked location on steering column). Will probably take a breath and try a third battery before I go to the dealer this wednesday.

I mentioned to the Service Advisor that I was able to start the car (no remote buttons do anything to the car). They mentioned that possibly it may just need a "re-programming".

We will see what it is. Will report back to this thread.

fbt12 said:
Will probably take a breath and try a third battery before I go to the dealer this wednesday.
Definitely try a different battery. If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage of the batteries that you're trying. The nominal voltage of the button cell is 3.0 V, but if a cell producing 3.0 V is in the fob, a warning will be displayed to replace the fob battery. Some cells that I have bought produce only 3.0 V, so I guess they are within spec, but they didn't make my fobs happy. Try to find a cell producing 3.2 V which should satisfy your sensitive fob.

Ok. So...opened up a fresh battery -- Sony CR2032, purchased Jan 2019). This is my 3rd battery. Read 3.1 volts. Tried it no go. This is my 2nd, unopened battery.

So, I get to my dealer appointment and BMW San Francisco service advisor gives me some options.

1. try a BMW ($9.00) CR2032.
2. If fails, get $458 diagnostic on my remote.
3. If fails, replace @ $650 in addition to my diagnostic cost.

OR

1. try BMW ($9.00) CR2032
2. replace remote @ $650.

So, I am looking @ $1100 price versus a $660 price.

What a choice? Maybe Bimmertech keyfob @ $485 is more of an option? Here is the link [ https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category-bmw-key-fob ]. that gets you to the page (don't get excited by a cheaper price with the picture of a different remote than one for an i3). After adding your VIN, you will see a price.

Okay. For S&G's I will invest $9. In talking to parts, I asked how often a customer came in like me -- just replaced battery with an un-opened fresh battery. Still not working. Then using BMW supplied battery, hazzah! It works.

The parts guy let me know that he sees it an often. He said at least once a month. And of course, with the $9/BMW supplied battery, my remote works! So, originally, I got a keyfob error message (I forgot the wording). It still was working, but I decided to change battery. The original battery was reading 2.9 (but still worked). Okay...try new batteries.....2 did not work. So then BMW service.

I just checked the battery that read 3.1v when I left home and now it reads 2.7v! Okay, I aint no engineer but using a DMM is not rocket science?

Good news is that I did not need a diagnostic or new remote. Guess I need to pay more attention to my batteries. I just tried another Sony. It read 3.0v on DMM. But it worked in my remote.....So I am at a loss for some logic. But, I am happy that it only cost me $9, some time and a few kWh's to get a solution.

Would love some feedback......

fbt12 said:
Tried searching for articles, but I was not able to find one that totally matched my issues.

Currently I own a 2017 BMW i3 REx purchased in Oct 2019. Replaced batteries once already on the one that I use all the time. This last time, I replaced the battery, no luck. The new battery works fine in my spare so, I believe one fob is dead.

I would like to purchase a backup, but I assume that going to the dealer will cost me quite a bit. This older thread ---- https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3465 cubes 2048--- listed $400+ from a dealer. Is this still the price or has it gone up since this older thread came out?

From what I have been reading on this forum and on internet in general, is that I just need a generic BMW i3 key fob, and then I can just "pair" it to my car. If there are non-BMW dealer sources for replacement fobs, I would love to get a reference or 2.

Thanx for any help!

Visit Bimmer Tech and you can find BMW Remote Key Fob which costs 485 dollars. It is pre-programmed and matched to your specific model.

I would like to purchase a backup, but I assume that going to the dealer will cost me quite a bit. This older thread ---- https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3465 --- listed $400+ from a dealer. Is this still the price or has it gone up since this older thread came out?

Thanx for any help!
I have the same problem. My 2017 REX that I just purchased this month only had one key fob. I ordered an OEM from Walmart for less than $60 but the BMW dealership could not get it to accept the coding. Their coding fee by the way is $213! The service rep researched a new one from them and sheepishly stated it is $855 plus tax!!! The search continues…

Back