Vehicle doesn't start

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmwvs

Got I3 2014 From Copart.
When press Start, panel is on but vehicle doesn't start.
Have message: Drivetrain. Stop carefully and switch off engine. Is not possible to continue journey. Call BMW

After diagnostic have mistakes:
8040BD - Terminal 30F reset or deactivated. not present
21F13D - High - voltage battery, switch contactors: Switch-off after a fault. present
21F153 - High - voltage battery, safety concept 2. Safety circuit to switch-off the switch contractors, switch-off detected.
22281C - High -voltage power management. High-voltage system not started in spite of request.
21F15E - SME, safety concept: reset by unknow cause.
21F284 - High - voltage battery unit, cell supervision circuit: Safety circuit activated.

Any suggestion how to fix it?
Thanks!

Looks like the HV Traction battery is locked after being in an accident.
That's why the car was totaled by insurance and sold for parts at Copart.

edit to add: you could always check the HV cutoff switch on the Driver's side of the Frunk area to see if that has been pulled.

spartacus68 said:
This is a British car, so HV disconnect is on passenger side of frunk.
While it might be worth checking the high-voltage disconnect you're referring to, the high-voltage battery pack is protected by a safety disconnect in the battery pack enclosure that can disconnect during a collision. I believe fixing it requires dropping the battery pack, opening the enclosure, and maybe replacing this safety disconnect which might require registration in ISTA+. I have no experience with this, so others who do should respond.

Watching this post.

Also in UK and purchased a salvage i3. The car will power up, but will not drive.

Two of the airbags were triggered so I assume the HV battery has been locked by the safety circuit.

Looking online the HV batteries can be unlocked - any idea how?

PaulT said:
Also in UK and purchased a salvage i3. The car will power up, but will not drive.

Two of the airbags were triggered so I assume the HV battery has been locked by the safety circuit.

I assume that if the safety box has triggered, no high-voltage loads would function including the A/C compressor. If the A/C compressor can be turned on, maybe the safety box isn't the problem.

However, if the safety box has triggered, it would need to be replaced. Unfortunately, it's inside the battery pack enclosure, so the battery pack enclosure would have to be dropped from the bottom of the car. The safety box is in the front of the enclosure. Installing a replacement safety box would likely require some sort of registration using one of BMW's maintenance apps like ISTA+.

alohart said:
PaulT said:

I assume that if the safety box has triggered, no high-voltage loads would function including the A/C compressor. If the A/C compressor can be turned on, maybe the safety box isn't the problem.

However, if the safety box has triggered, it would need to be replaced. Unfortunately, it's inside the battery pack enclosure, so the battery pack enclosure would have to be dropped from the bottom of the car. The safety box is in the front of the enclosure. Installing a replacement safety box would likely require some sort of registration using one of BMW's maintenance apps like ISTA+.

I'm not sure that's true. The BST has blown. Battery safety terminal. You can order a new one from BMW. It cuts power to the HV contactors and other functions. BST has a pyro that disconnects power to Terminal 30. It is part of the + battery terminal, 12v battery.

None of these posts have a solution to them. Can anyone please update this post with how they proceeded?

Hi all

I am in exactly the same position. Same errors and the car won't start.

I removed the battery safety terminal and put a link between the positive to bypass the pyro fuse, which lets the car go back into park and most functions working. But it won't drive and it has the drivetrain fault + all the crash errors.

Has anyone solved it?

Interesting issue! Have you tried checking the high-voltage battery for any faults? It could be related to the safety circuits. Looking forward to hearing more about the solution. đź‘Ť

check airbag computer, need to be clear after accident.
change positive cable with crash sensore 12v.
check all other crash sensore

First. Airbag computer need to be clear from crach mode. 12V positive cable need to be fixed or change for new one. Check all other crash sensore by computer

Back