Screen Upgrade Ad-Nauseum

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arm

Sorry for resurrecting this topic since some feel it's a dead one (due to lack of information or because some have tried and claimed it's failed).

So here's the deal. Some have claimed that 2018 and newer models cannot do a simple screen upgrade/recode because the head unit on the newer models won't allow it. That is to say (and correct me if I'm wrong in the terminology) that the older models (2017 and older) used a different model 10.25" screen than the newer models and the head units of the older models aren't EVO versions or something like that.

Well, let me tell you a little story that may throw this issue a curveball. I've a 2019 S with the basic screen, no tech package, no thrills. Just an S. When this car was built, BMW had separate ConnectedDrive features that one could add on (live traffic, map updates, etc.). In early 2022, they bundled these features into one ConnectedDrive package and now charge $120 for all features that one could get separately before.

When I purchased this car in October 2022, I noticed the car had the ConnectedDrive suite but didn't have the life traffic. So I called BMW ConnectedDrive tech support to add it (as I thought it should have come with the car) and they flat out told me it's impossible because I have the Professional version and I need the full tech package version to get live traffic.

I called BS on this because this being my 5th i3s (having had 2 others that were identically equipped and also had live traffic), I knew they were wrong. There was a big back and forth where I eventually got fed up and wrote to BMW corporate and demanded they offer me the life traffic package since it was supposed to come with the vehicle. There response was "OK we'll try and give it to you but the engineers say it won't work."

Well it did. Meaning that they thought with my head unit being the professional version, it wasn't supposed to support live traffic but it does.

Now, let's get back to the screen. I am now postulating that a 10.25" screen upgrade may in fact work on my car and with proper coding. I am considering buying one but not sure I want to dish out $600 and then not have it work. A bigger screen would be great of course as I had that in my 2018 i3s that was pretty much fully loaded and it really suits this car's interior.

Any thoughts?

It is my understanding that because of the head unit/software differences between the 2017 and 2018+ models, that is the main reason that the screen upgrade is "easier" for the 2017 and earlier models. Those screens for the earlier models as an aftermarket item are more available? The 2018+ requires a different type of larger screen for some reason and those are either just more expensive or not as available.

As far as the Live Traffic and the small screen: My 2017 still had the full Connected Drive subscription when I bought it used in 2020. Live Traffic was part of that. I have renewed Connected Drive twice now and both times I had the OPTION of Connected Drive ONLY, or Live Traffic for $50. Bundled together they were $90. (That has now increased to $120 for both).

EvanstonI3 said:
It is my understanding that because of the head unit/software differences between the 2017 and 2018+ models, that is the main reason that the screen upgrade is "easier" for the 2017 and earlier models. Those screens for the earlier models as an aftermarket item are more available? The 2018+ requires a different type of larger screen for some reason and those are either just more expensive or not as available.

As far as the Live Traffic and the small screen: My 2017 still had the full Connected Drive subscription when I bought it used in 2020. Live Traffic was part of that. I have renewed Connected Drive twice now and both times I had the OPTION of Connected Drive ONLY, or Live Traffic for $50. Bundled together they were $90. (That has now increased to $120 for both).

Yes that's what I've heard about the screens and head units for later models. The area that I wanted to emphasize is that with the professional nav version that is the simple version of software and head-unit for a 2018+ car, life traffic isn't supposed to be able to work according to BMW Tech Support. But it does work.

I would start by looking up the parts list based on the last 7 digits of your particular VIN:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
Then browse to:
"Audio, Navigation, Electronics System"
and below that:
"Central Information Display"
That will show you all the displays that might have come on your car based on your information system and options. What you are looking for is the 6.5" display that came on your car. To be absolutely sure, you can unmount your display and read the part number off it.

One you have identified your 6.5" display, look for the 10.25" display that works with the same navigation system as the 6.5" display you have. Click on the part number for details, to see if the part has been superceeded by a newer part. Use Google to find that part.

For example, a 2019 I3s made in August 2019 will have either a "65508794264" (6.5") or "65506842991" (10.25"). A Google search for 65506842991 shows you can get them, new, for a little over $2700. An image of the back of the unit shows it was made by Kyocera and they use the part number "BM6842991". With luck you can find one new or used for a better price.

JohnWasser said:
I would start by looking up the parts list based on the last 7 digits of your particular VIN:
Then browse to:
and below that:
That will show you all the displays that might have come on your car based on your information system and options. What you are looking for is the 6.5" display that came on your car. To be absolutely sure, you can unmount your display and read the part number off it.

One you have identified your 6.5" display, look for the 10.25" display that works with the same navigation system as the 6.5" display you have. Click on the part number for details, to see if the part has been superceeded by a newer part. Use Google to find that part.

For example, a 2019 I3s made in August 2019 will have either a "65508794264" (6.5") or "65506842991" (10.25"). A Google search for 65506842991 shows you can get them, new, for a little over $2700. An image of the back of the unit shows it was made by Kyocera and they use the part number "BM6842991". With luck you can find one new or used for a better price.

Thanks for this...great info!

Useful thread.

But for REPLACEMENT (wife's car has big blotch appeared), do I just find the screen (not whole module) itself (9306742 in my case) and swap the damaged display with replacement and no coding needed??

JohnWasser said:
Then browse to:
and below that:

Sounds good thank you!

I have brought one off a 2021 I3s 10.25 screen to retrofit my 2019 NBT evo. Even with bimmercode I can't get it to work.... my research ended with smaller screen uses different voltage then the big screen, might just need to tap a 12v power source to the screen connector.

Back