Any suggestions for extended warranty?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accidentalyEV

I purchased a 2021 used I3s with Rex from an independent used car dealer as I could bot find whatbI wanted / needed from a BMW dealer. It had 2,000 miles on it when I purchased it March 2022 and I currently have 20,000 miles on it. I called a few BMW dealers asking about purchasing an extended warranty and honestly pretty shady half answers. They all tell me to talk to sales manager and then they say all kinds of strange things. This is my daily driver and I love it. I am concerned about potential repair costs after the warranty is up Feburary of 2024. I appreciate anyone that has input on possible extended warranties. Thanks!

I did find this however all the dealers I talk to stated that they only offer extended warranty on a used BMW via a CPO and they would have to charge me to "run it thru" a CPO check. https://www.bmwusa.com/financial-services/protection-program.html

accidentalyEV said:
I did find this however all the dealers I talk to stated that they only offer extended warranty on a used BMW via a CPO and they would have to charge me to "run it thru" a CPO check. https://www.bmwusa.com/financial-services/protection-program.html

From what I can tell, CPO coverage is useless

accidentalyEV said:
I purchased a 2021 used I3s with Rex from an independent used car dealer as I could bot find whatbI wanted / needed from a BMW dealer. It had 2,000 miles on it when I purchased it March 2022 and I currently have 20,000 miles on it. I called a few BMW dealers asking about purchasing an extended warranty and honestly pretty shady half answers. They all tell me to talk to sales manager and then they say all kinds of strange things. This is my daily driver and I love it. I am concerned about potential repair costs after the warranty is up Feburary of 2024.
Our 2019 i3 has a 4 year/50k mile general warranty with the warranty clock starting at its in-service date which was 9 months after its manufacture date. Does your 2021 i3 have a shorter warranty? I don't recall reading that the i3's warranty was shortened, but maybe I missed that. However, if your i3 has a 4 year warranty, its earliest possible in-service date would have been late 2020, so your earliest warranty expiration date would be late 2024. Much more likely would be a 2025 expiration date.

Regardless, extended warranties are just insurance policies with the insurer being a profitable company. You'd probably be better off investing the monthly cost of an extended warranty in an appreciating asset, starting now at least a year before your warranty expires. You could use the value of this asset to pay any unexpected repair costs. Sure, the repair cost might be greater than the value of this asset, but on average, it would be less.

Get yourself ISTA BMW software. Knowing what the issue is saves a lot of guess work down the line. If you’re spanner handy, then most of what you’ll experience is routine maintenance, suspension, brakes, 12v battery, oil change on the REx engine. I’ve done more complex things including PMA parking sensors and charging door lock solenoid. Set aside money for unexpected repairs and enjoy the car.

spartacus68 said:
Get yourself ISTA BMW software. Knowing what the issue is saves a lot of guess work down the line. If you’re spanner handy, then most of what you’ll experience is routine maintenance, suspension, brakes, 12v battery, oil change on the REx engine. I’ve done more complex things including PMA parking sensors and charging door lock solenoid. Set aside money for unexpected repairs and enjoy the car.

Thanks for the tip! I found this but I3 is not on the list of supported vehicles. Would you happen to have a link? https://www.bimmerdiagnostics.com/#xl_HeadingAnchor:58AHNEc

alohart said:
accidentalyEV said:
I purchased a 2021 used I3s with Rex from an independent used car dealer as I could bot find whatbI wanted / needed from a BMW dealer. It had 2,000 miles on it when I purchased it March 2022 and I currently have 20,000 miles on it. I called a few BMW dealers asking about purchasing an extended warranty and honestly pretty shady half answers. They all tell me to talk to sales manager and then they say all kinds of strange things. This is my daily driver and I love it. I am concerned about potential repair costs after the warranty is up Feburary of 2024.
Our 2019 i3 has a 4 year/50k mile general warranty with the warranty clock starting at its in-service date which was 9 months after its manufacture date. Does your 2021 i3 have a shorter warranty? I don't recall reading that the i3's warranty was shortened, but maybe I missed that. However, if your i3 has a 4 year warranty, its earliest possible in-service date would have been late 2020, so your earliest warranty expiration date would be late 2024. Much more likely would be a 2025 expiration date.

Regardless, extended warranties are just insurance policies with the insurer being a profitable company. You'd probably be better off investing the monthly cost of an extended warranty in an appreciating asset, starting now at least a year before your warranty expires. You could use the value of this asset to pay any unexpected repair costs. Sure, the repair cost might be greater than the value of this asset, but on average, it would be less.

Thanks for your input and you are correct with the warranty term. I decided to call a BMW dealer in the middle of nowhere yesterday and surprise surprise they gave me prices on an extended warranty and told me my base warranty is 4 years / 50,000 miles. $4,700 for 5 year (total of 5 years), $5,250 6 year 75,000, $5,750 7 year 75,000 miles. I agree with you on the insurance part and I am in unchartered territory with the I3. I have a RAM 1500 with a Hemi and the engines are known to self destruct. I had a 2011 with the Hemi blowing up at 40,000. If the warranty didn't cover it the cost would have been $7,500 (in 2016). I elected to purchase the 8 year / 80,000 mile extended warranty on my 2019 RAM 1500 with Hemi for $3,200.

Arm said:
accidentalyEV said:

From what I can tell, CPO coverage is useless

Thanks!

I think with the i3 you better off rolling the dice than purchasing the factory extended warranty. I am not sure about third party warranties.

accidentalyEV said:
spartacus68 said:

Thanks for the tip! I found this but I3 is not on the list of supported vehicles. Would you happen to have a link? https://www.bimmerdiagnostics.com/#xl_HeadingAnchor:58AHNEc

Where are you based?

spartacus68 said:
accidentalyEV said:
spartacus68 said:

Where are you based?
Near Philadelphia PA

Back