I3s intermittent success charging on 7kW Chargers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ra67052

Greetings,
I've had my I3s for nearly three years now and not really had any issues charging until October last year. The issue occurred when I was not able to charge at home using my 7kW charger. Three chare points later it started to charge and then stop again.

Publicly I've never had an issues as usually charging DC or higher voltage AC. I've tested my cable and it's fine. However, I'm now starting to witness what I seen at home on lower voltage chargers where the bimmer just does not recognise it's plugged in and or start any two ways communication. One charge point in particular contacted me and other drivers can charge on it but when I rock up with my bimmer the white light stays on and I can see the blue light on the charger trying to connect.

I've tried searching for symptoms similar to mine and cannot see anything of this nature. Anyone else witnessed this, it's not had a service for a while since it's a 2020 car so not sure if I'm missing an update to the car or there's something underlying and should take it to a dealership?

Thanks in advance
Ray

Could it be the latch mechanism that detects the j1772 charger plug insertion? Since it’s somewhat intermittent maybe operate the latch a few times after plugging in? Or shoot some silicon spray in that portion of the receptacle?

Can you charge on L1 (120v) but not on L2 (240v)?
If so, this may be an issue with part of the EME/KLE not functioning. Not sure if I used the correct terms.

Back