Emergency Key

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLParry

Hi as a new owner (collecting my Rex hopefully on Sunday 21st May) I have a question. My current BMW, an X3, has a plastic emergency key that I keep in my wallet in case I were to lose my keys. Does the i3 have such an option to deal with lost key or can it be opened and started with the MyBMW app?

The FOB has a manual key as part of it. This is just to get into the car, not to start and drive it. There is no option for a plastic card key that I am aware of. The car can be unlocked via the MYBMW app if Connected Services are available. In the USA this means only for 2017+ model years.
You cannot "start" the car via the app in order to drive it. You must have a FOB present.

And to add on to EvanstonI3's note about the fob needing to be present to start the car...

The fob has a battery which provides power so it can communicate with the car to allow it to be started.

If the battery in the fob dies or isn't present, it's still possible to start the car by pressing the fob to the key-shaped icon on the steering column below the drive mode selector.

In this case the i3 passively powers the fob, authenticates it, and allows the car to start.

Back