Sunroof--for the US market

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidrshelton

I just read that the US version of the i3 won't be equipped with the sunroof, something that the European models definitely have. (Take a close look at the feature listing of all of the US models--you won't find a sunroof there.) That really frosts me, given that the "i3 Experience" test drive we did back in November had sunroofs, which I'm now concluding were pre-production European models.

I've been waiting a really long time for an EV with a sunroof (without having to buy a Tesla).

DRS

davidrshelton said:
I just read that the US version of the i3 won't be equipped with the sunroof, something that the European models definitely have. (Take a close look at the feature listing of all of the US models--you won't find a sunroof there.) That really frosts me, given that the "i3 Experience" test drive we did back in November had sunroofs, which I'm now concluding were pre-production European models.

I've been waiting a really long time for an EV with a sunroof (without having to buy a Tesla).

DRS

BIG +1

I wonder why the sunroof seems to be such a big deal in the USA? In UK sunroofs are reasonably popular but rarely seem essential (and its not because it rains all of the time :lol: ). In fact, I have never bought a car with a sun roof as they have always seemed pretty pointless to me when I have either hired a car or been in one with a sunroof.

MikeS said:
I wonder why the sunroof seems to be such a big deal in the USA? In UK sunroofs are reasonably popular but rarely seem essential (and its not because it rains all of the time :lol: ). In fact, I have never bought a car with a sun roof as they have always seemed pretty pointless to me when I have either hired a car or been in one with a sunroof.

I'm a big sunroof fan, but I don't think I'd miss it in the i3. The big bar down the middle negates a lot of the open-airy feeling that a more traditional large chunk of glass can give. It would be nice to tilt open for a bit of extra ventilation, but I don't see this feature as a reason to not buy the car.

Just my opinion...

Buskraut said:
MikeS said:

I'm a big sunroof fan, but I don't think I'd miss it in the i3. The big bar down the middle negates a lot of the open-airy feeling that a more traditional large chunk of glass can give. It would be nice to tilt open for a bit of extra ventilation, but I don't see this feature as a reason to not buy the car.

Just my opinion...

Totally a matter of personal preference, but for us tall drivers the sunroof not only let's us feel less claustrophobic, it also let's us see overhead stop lights without having to lean out over the front of the dash :)

Also, even though, as you say, the bar in the middle blocks some of the ventilation, I still would like to have the option of ventilating that way instead of using up more of the battery to power the fan.

YMMV.

I'm not sure if it's purely a California thing, but I've always enjoyed the ability to let fresh air in without being "blown out" and/or experiencing excessive wind noise by rolling down the windows. My first car with a sunroof (tilt and retractable) was an '86 Mazda 626 GT, and I totally loved it and used it all the time.

I agree that the dual "porthole" sunroofs on the European model don't give quite the same experience as a panoramic one, but I certainly preferred it to not having anything at all. Just being able to look up at the skyscrapers (not while in motion, of course) from the sunroof while on my downtown L.A. test drive was pleasurable for this occasional city-dweller.

Incidentally, I heard a rumor that there's a chance that a panoramic sunroof might make its way to the US model, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

David

I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed that BMW will not be offering the sunroof in the US. It seems like it's been bait and switch on a lot of things.....not a great way to build customer relationships.

I left out the sun roof. I had one in the last time in a Vauxhall before the days of AC in the UK. Used to bang my head on the track when going over hump backed bridges. Since then , being tall, it cuts into the headroom lining so I have skipped it. All my Beemers have been solid up top. I would think in California it would be a must.

I don't think BMW does bait and switch. They are straight up engineers not fly by night types. It will be something to do with slowing down the production line.

I opened and closed the slider on the test drive. It didn't seem to let in much light but I didn't feel any restriction in Headroom as the cabin is pretty spacious.

Personally, I object to being forced to buy a car with a sunroof. It truly limits the vehicles I can comfortably sit in. Now, I realize I may be in the 1% where that is an issue, but object. FWIW, from seat to the top of my head, not counting hair, it's 38.5", and I'm not bald (the i3 has 39.6" of headroom without the sunroof). On the i3, sitting where I'd like to drive, my hair just clears the roof of a vehicle without a sunroof, and the opening is relatively consistent across the space (not a compartmented hole with thick ridges). So, I would not buy the thing if it only came with a sunroof!

I can appreciate those that love them, but they add cost, add weight, can be a source of leaks, are not as strong as a solid roof, are another glass panel that can be broken, and, when open, tend to be somewhat noisy and buffet (obviously, some are better than others).

Considering that the i3 is designed as a city car, without extended range, I do not feel deprived if it lacks a sunroof. And, in the original plan for the USA, if you were like I, you would have been limited in trim, as it was included in both the Giga and Tera interiors...limiting you to Mega trim, and restricting most options which I find much more useful in the long run. It's my understanding that for much of the rest of the world, the sunroof is a stand-alone option (and I hope when they do offer it in the USA, they do the same thing rather than package it in the 'worlds').

FWIW, I asked an Audi dealer why their loaners didn't have sunroofs, and he told me it was because of insurance...those with a sunroof cost them a significant amount more. Now, with built-in packages, you may never realize that added cost is there, but I'll bet it is for most people...so, you pay for it once, and then again every time your insurance is renewed.

Choice is good, limiting choice is bad, packaging is the worst way to limit choice. At least for me, having the choice of interiors and other options is worth more than the 'loss' of a sunroof. Your results may differ! :D

jadnashuanh said:
Personally, I object to being forced to buy a car with a sunroof. It truly limits the vehicles I can comfortably sit in. Now, I realize I may be in the 1% where that is an issue, but object. FWIW, from seat to the top of my head, not counting hair, it's 38.5", and I'm not bald (the i3 has 39.6" of headroom without the sunroof). On the i3, sitting where I'd like to drive, my hair just clears the roof of a vehicle without a sunroof, and the opening is relatively consistent across the space (not a compartmented hole with thick ridges). So, I would not buy the thing if it only came with a sunroof!

I can appreciate those that love them, but they add cost, add weight, can be a source of leaks, are not as strong as a solid roof, are another glass panel that can be broken, and, when open, tend to be somewhat noisy and buffet (obviously, some are better than others).

Considering that the i3 is designed as a city car, without extended range, I do not feel deprived if it lacks a sunroof. And, in the original plan for the USA, if you were like I, you would have been limited in trim, as it was included in both the Giga and Tera interiors...limiting you to Mega trim, and restricting most options which I find much more useful in the long run. It's my understanding that for much of the rest of the world, the sunroof is a stand-alone option (and I hope when they do offer it in the USA, they do the same thing rather than package it in the 'worlds').

FWIW, I asked an Audi dealer why their loaners didn't have sunroofs, and he told me it was because of insurance...those with a sunroof cost them a significant amount more. Now, with built-in packages, you may never realize that added cost is there, but I'll bet it is for most people...so, you pay for it once, and then again every time your insurance is renewed.

Choice is good, limiting choice is bad, packaging is the worst way to limit choice. At least for me, having the choice of interiors and other options is worth more than the 'loss' of a sunroof. Your results may differ! :D

What the H..l are you talking about. You are rambling all over the place!!!!

For me, personally, I would not buy an i3 if it had a sunroof...they tend to take too much headroom out of the vehicle. IOW, I'm not particularly upset that it isn't being offered as an option in the USA at this time. Sorry if you couldn't get that out of the discussion. I do like choice, and do not like the situation where they shove it down your throat, and you either buy the thing with it, or don't buy it.

Each to their own but I refuse to purchase a vehicle with a sunroof, T-Top etc.

If I want water dripping onto my person, I'll step into the shower at home.
If I want noise I'll listen to the wife instead of the wind and traffic sounds through a sun roof.
The sun roof also tends to lower head room in some vehicles. Not good for tall people.
Can't even toss empties out a sun roof without getting splashed or scratching the paint.
I don't see any reason to have a sun roof open during rain, snow or anytime in the winter?

Personally, not having a sunroof is almost a deal-breaker. I may wait for the sunroof option before ordering the i3.

Pros
- release hot air from cabinet quickly and efficiently
- extra light, year-round
- great at low speeds

These are particularly useful given the i3's mission.

I really wanted the sunroof myself and agree with Surge as to the many benefits. Plus responding to the others that say they leak, I have to say in my 40 years of owning factory installed sunroofs I have never had on leak and I have had lot of them.

However; I went ahead and ordered my i3 without the option and ask my dealer to find out what is really going with BMW omitting them from the US. Well if he is right it may be not be an option in the US for a long time. It seems the problem is the law in the US requires a metal structure supporting the sunroof reinforcement/frame. The problem is the i3 has none with it carbon fiber reinforced structure.

If this is true a sunroof in the US i3 will require a redesign of significant proportions in order to accommodate the law or the law will have to be changed or amended. Probably neither one is going to happen quickly especially considering BMW's backlog of i3 orders.

As I've said, that's okay by me...but, I do appreciate people's desire for one. I've found that opening all of the windows for a moment does as much as opening the sunroof, so that doesn't sway me - about 1/2 of the cars I've owned had then, and they rarely got opened. Added to the fact that most decrease headroom, that's critical to me, I don't see this as a fault! And, don't know what it will cost in a package, but in many places it is available (take the UK for example), it's about a $1300 option...I can think of lots of things I'd rather than than that extra hole in the roof for that price.

The actual cost of these things gets hidden when it's in a package. On my car, it's closer to $2500 where it's a stand-alone option, but my car is not available without one...again, I can think of lots of things I'd rather have than that extra hole in the roof and the extra weight at the worst place possible in a car.

jadnashuanh said:
The actual cost of these things gets hidden when it's in a package. On my car, it's closer to $2500 where it's a stand-alone option, but my car is not available without one...again, I can think of lots of things I'd rather have than that extra hole in the roof and the extra weight at the worst place possible in a car.
This is the first opportunity of which I am aware in the history of BMW sales in the USA that I can get a well equipped BMW, to include leather seats, without a sunroof, and I'm jumping on it. I'm a tall guy and appreciate the headroom. I mean no offense to those that want it, but you will almost certainly be able to get a sunroof in the near future, at which point those of us who do not will no longer have that option (except on the elusive/undesireable base configuration). Please throw us tall sum'bitches a bone. We've suffered for a long time and appreciate the break. You'll get yours shortly.

I stopped by the local dealer this afternoon, and the sales manager indicated that BMW had told them there will not be a sunroof option in the USA (at all). Now, consumer pressure may change that eventually, but if that is true, those waiting for one may have a long wait just like the smaller group of us have been waiting to buy something we like, we can fit into, without one!

jadnashuanh said:
I stopped by the local dealer this afternoon, and the sales manager indicated that BMW had told them there will not be a sunroof option in the USA (at all). Now, consumer pressure may change that eventually, but if that is true, those waiting for one may have a long wait just like the smaller group of us have been waiting to buy something we like, we can fit into, without one!

I went ahead and ordered my i3 without the sunroof and ask my dealer to find out what is really going with BMW omitting them from the US. Well if he is right it may not be an option in the US for a long time. It seems the problem is the law in the US requires a metal structure supporting the sunroof reinforcement/frame. The problem is the i3 has none with it carbon fiber reinforced structure.

If this is true a sunroof in the US i3 will require a redesign of significant proportions in order to accommodate the law or the law will have to be changed or amended. Probably neither one is going to happen quickly especially considering BMW's backlog of i3 orders.

Could there be a simpler yet duller explanation of why the US doesn’t get the sunroof option? Maybe BMW NA decided to limit the number of variations and therefore spare parts that it needed for launch. Think about it. US customers have fewer choices in general than those in Europe. A number of features optional over there are standard here—LED headlights, enhanced Bluetooth and the heat pump to name but three. The dark cloth interior isn’t offered to us either.

The sunroof has got to be a big, complicated part. Expensive to stock spares of and more training for service techs. Maybe the US marketers looked at the kind of odd implementation of the i3 sunroof (mismatch between the external and interior openings) and decided it wasn’t worth the complexity another variant would generate.

I was kind of upset when I first realized that it wouldn’t be offered. I’d assumed I’d get it because every car I’ve had for the past 20 years came with one. Now that I have an i3 without a sunroof though, I could care less.

Back