30 amp charging rate - car set to low

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunter

Hi all

This is going to sound a bit odd but does anyone know what the i3 draws when connected to a type 2 charger but with the car's charging rate set to low?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Bill

I tried this a while ago to see if it would help fix a charging problem I was having (it didn't). Looking at the notes I made at the time it charged at 4.5kW.

Plug said:
I tried this a while ago to see if it would help fix a charging problem I was having (it didn't). Looking at the notes I made at the time it charged at 4.5kW.

That's higher than what I witnesses. I observed around 3.5kW. I'll do some more testing and report back.

TomMoloughney said:
Plug said:

That's higher than what I witnesses. I observed around 3.5kW. I'll do some more testing and report back.

It could well be different between different countries Tom.

Bill

I've just checked again to make sure. It was reading 4.5kW, 19.1A, 237V (charging unit is the BMWi wallbox).

Some EVSE units have a display that can show lots of statistics, some only have an lamp indication of power, charging, and fault. It might be in the vehicle's menus, but I"ve not seen it. Would be good to know where, if it's there!

jadnashuanh said:
Some EVSE units have a display that can show lots of statistics, some only have an lamp indication of power, charging, and fault. It might be in the vehicle's menus, but I"ve not seen it. Would be good to know where, if it's there!

Ok that makes sense. My charger has power, charging, and fault lights only.

Thanks

My BMW wall box was installed with its own smart meter which has a reading for power consumption and total power consumed since day 1.

At max charge it shows c7.5kW rate (which is 30A). When the vehicle is nearly full, this rate slows to 3.5kW then gradually falls to as low as 0.6kW before the wallboard switches off.

Useful for tallying up total mileage v total consumption. :eek:

Back