Wood Dash Panels

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbiscuits

Decided to upgrade the interior a bit with the wood panels. I have the lower end cloth package, which I'm very happy with, but the wood finish bumps it up a notch. Originally I was thinking of staining the wood a grayish color but decided to keep it as is. If anyone else is thinking of doing this have the dealer do the installation. The left and right panels were easy enough to remove but that middle one puts up a fight. I'm thinking that they may have to remove the navigation screen to get it in.

adult image sharing

Hi, nice job. My dealer said BMW told them it was not possible to order the parts. How did you go about it?

Thank you.

What your dealer told you is false. You can go to the parts department and they can look up the part number and order wood trim. No need to order extra brackets or anything like that. Good luck!

I wonder how they'd look with a carbon fibre coating, or something along those lines. I had the interior trim on my other car done to spruce it up a bit from the original grey plastic, by these chaps http://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk.

I also live in Huntington Beach and my i3 just arrived at its delivery port yesterday. Please let me know what you learn about wood panels as I also think it is a great idea.

All dealers can oder and install the part. You don't even need the car yet to do so. Parts department and i3 then they will look through a catalog to find the part #. I personally had it done at Newport Beach Sterling BMW.

Sounds like Sterling better stock up on these parts, I am going there today. Sorry to flat out copy your idea but it is a good one, I will definitely give you credit for it to everyone.

Did you see them replace the wood panel on the glove box? I wonder how hard that would be yourself.

I didn't see them replace it. Before I had BMW do the install I tried for a good long while to install the middle wood piece myself. The issue is that the plastic piece has some flex so I was able to take it out but the wood version is slightly thicker and without flex. This made it impossible to slip it under the monitor with how the clips are placed on the back. I finally just gave up.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead - any tips on removing the trim pieces? It looks like the glove box lid is maybe held on with a couple screws... is that right?
Are the middle and driver side pieces typical trim held on with clamps? i.e. just pulls off?

If I recall correctly there are also some clamps for the glove box trim as well, but you are correct. It was a little touch-and-go removing the pieces due to the clamps being pretty tight. I had to use a screwdriver for leverage and scratched the surround back plastic up a bit in doing so. Replacing the trim with the wood pieces was also difficult due its thickness. It was difficult to shimmy under the display screen. If I were to do it over again I would bring it to a BMW dealership to have them swap it out. If they break something then they will replace.

Back