Pricing Rumours .........

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker

On other threads of this forum I have talked about rumours of pricing from 2 German Car magazines, one 2 weeks ago and one last week.

Well as luck would have it a member of the public was at BMW Welt in Germany and overheard a BMW employee talking to a business man and the conversation seems to confirm the Car magazines rumours.

As I say these are still unconfirmed and these are German Prices but even so I think gives us cause for optimism.

http://the-car-addict.net/

The Base electric car = 36,000€ - £31,000 before incentives .......so UK OTR price of £26,000
Rex Version car = 39,000€ - £33,500 before incentives ...........so UK OTR price of £28,500

I think I now understand why the World launch for the i3 is in the UK - this car will fly at those prices.
I recently specced up a Diesel Golf (similar performance to i3) ........ and it came to £28,000.

Normally US prices follow the € equals $ price so you could be looking at a pre incentive price of $36,000 for the pure electric car and $39,000 for the Rex
......only 23 days and we’ll know for sure.

Fingers crossed.

I am very surprised by these rumors and really hope they are true. Everything I heard for the past two years put the starting price around 40,000€. This will be great if the lower pricing really comes to fruition. Fingers crossed...

If i3 will be priced at $36,000- I can only see one thing happening- a LOT of people being interested here in U.S. Especially if you compare it to LEAF SL. It doesn't take long to see how i3 would benefit- way better looking car, 26 increased range comparing to LEAF in comfort mode, futuristic interior, carbon fiber and many more...

Yes agree I understand UK start price will c £30k less subsidy and options will be sensibly priced. BMW want this car to get a good start in the market

I also think it will be around 36 000, maybe a little bit less, here in France.
So, with the 7000€ bonus for electric cars, I am sure it will be a success!

I can't wait for the 29th!

So looks like the lower price estimates maybe correct

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/08/bmw-i3-may-reach-the-us-in-january-start-at-about-34500/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

gaz26 said:
So looks like the lower price estimates maybe correct

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/08/bmw-i3-may-reach-the-us-in-january-start-at-about-34500/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

I urge you to wait until it's an official announcement from BMW. Engadget is just reposting what Autoblog said and the Autoblog article does have errors in it (like it claims the ActiveE has a range extender). Yes this is promising, but I'm not convinced the $34,500 isn't AFTER you deduct $7,500 for the federal Tax credit which would put the actual cost of it at $42,000 before you add any options (and there will be many!).

I was starting to think the same.

A start price of €36,000 is one thing (that has an attributable source ......and BMW one at that) ....... I think the rest is pure speculation by people who have got other facts wrong.

Mind you €2000 for the range extender option would be excellent - but where did that come from .... what source? ..... I just wish BMW would release the price and be done with it.

Its becoming like the protracted reveal of the winner at the end of a talent show .....

TomMoloughney said:
I urge you to wait until it's an official announcement from BMW. Engadget is just reposting what Autoblog said and the Autoblog article does have errors in it (like it claims the ActiveE has a range extender). Yes this is promising, but I'm not convinced the $34,500 isn't AFTER you deduct $7,500 for the federal Tax credit which would put the actual cost of it at $42,000 before you add any options (and there will be many!).

I wouldn't be surprised at a low price these days. Manufacturers are cutting EV prices left and right to drive sales. BMW certainly has seen the price drops on the LEAF, Focus EV and Fit EV. If they come in substantially higher than the competition, they won't move many cars. Given that they're tooling for substantial production numbers and not just a few thousand compliance cars, they need a low price.

However, Edmunds just posted this, and they disagree with me:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2014-bmw-i3-to-start-in-low-to-mid-40000-range-says-bmw.html

Sunday Times in UK says today, prices will start at £25,000 after £5,000 subsidy. That would be good news if confirmed.

gaz26 said:
Sunday Times in UK says today, prices will start at £25,000 after £5,000 subsidy. That would be good news if confirmed.

It's been confirmed by Dave Buchko of BMW North America that the price in the US will be the low to mid $40,000's. It looks like $42,000 now with Autoblogs $34,500 figure correct after you deduct the $7,500 federal tax credit.

gaz26 said:

The next issue will be the price of the options.....

Rex
Metallic Paint
Heater Exchanger Heater
LED Headlights
HUD
Leather
Sunroof
Keyless Go / Entry
Upgraded Sat Nav
Upgraded Stereo
Nicer Wheels - not worried about size ...... 19" is fine I just don't like the look of the flat Aluminium ones.
Heated seats & steering wheel
Reversing Camera
All round parking sensors
Active cruise
Extended light package
Maybe black roof lining - depending on my final interior colour choice.

Wall Charger

.......... my starter for 10

....... and its not going to be cheap.

gaz26 said:
Options and packages will be very sensibly priced I hear.

That's good to hear.

It would be nice if BMW did a "Range Rover" and do a fully loaded version Autobiography or Prestige version so a) it has everything on it - much easier to configure b) you would get some credit for the all options come resale time.

It seems to work for LR & VW (R Line) ....... I don't understand why Audi, BMW and Mercedes don't do it.

TomMoloughney said:
It's been confirmed by Dave Buchko of BMW North America that the price in the US will be the low to mid $40,000's. It looks like $42,000 now with Autoblogs $34,500 figure correct after you deduct the $7,500 federal tax credit.

That makes sense, as most companies advertise the price after the tax credit, and BMW doesn't want a price below 30k to devalue the brand. I was hoping for less, but it is a BMW.

Did Mr. Buchko reveal any information about the release date here in the states?

fengshui said:
TomMoloughney said:

That makes sense, as most companies advertise the price after the tax credit, and BMW doesn't want a price below 30k to devalue the brand. I was hoping for less, but it is a BMW.

Did Mr. Buchko reveal any information about the release date here in the states?

No he didn't. I'm hoping we'll get that at the July 29th world premier in NYC. I have heard January but recently a few journalists said March so I'm not really sure anymore. I had assumed January for a long time now. I had heard the plan was to launch in Europe in November(The 16th I think) and then in the US a couple months later.

Ed B said:
Is the world premier on the 29th in London or NYC?

Both. ........ I think ..... plus one other ........ BMW Welt as a guess.

BMW said it would World launch in three places simultaneously.

Back