Registering the i3 REx in Georgia, USA

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraturtle

If registering an i3 REx in Georgia, make certain that the tag/title clerk at your dealership specifies the fuel code as "O" as in "Other". If your registration comes through with fuel code "B", you cannot apply for an Alternate Fuel Vehicle tag, which grants single occupant access to HOV lanes.

My dealer was all over this, and I personally witnessed the finance officer enter the correct fuel code in the title paperwork, but apparently someone in the Department of Revenue changed it to a "B". This mistake is a big hassle to fix, and quite time consuming - it took me almost half a year to get the correct tag for one of the first Plug-In Prii in the state. If it happens to you, please have your dealer raise hell with the state - as mine is doing.

Ref page 9 of this document: http://www.plugingeorgia.com/pdf/library/GA_AFV_Incentive_Guide.docx

If you are purchasing a PHEV (such as the Chevy Volt), you must ensure that the car is registered properly by the auto dealer with the correct fuel code distinction (‘O’ for ‘Other’ or ‘F’ for ‘Flex’), which will allow the car to qualify for the AFV License Plate. (Note that the default electric/gas designator is type ‘B’ which does not allow for issuance of the AFV Plate.)
... This fuel code cannot easily be changed after the vehicle’s VIN is registered.

ultraturtle said:
If registering an i3 REx in Georgia, make certain that the tag/title clerk at your dealership specifies the fuel code as "O" as in "Other". If your registration comes through with fuel code "B", you cannot apply for an Alternate Fuel Vehicle tag, which grants single occupant access to HOV lanes.

My dealer was all over this, and I personally witnessed the finance officer enter the correct fuel code in the title paperwork, but apparently someone in the Department of Revenue changed it to a "B". This mistake is a big hassle to fix, and quite time consuming - it took me almost half a year to get the correct tag for one of the first Plug-In Prii in the state. If it happens to you, please have your dealer raise hell with the state - as mine is doing.

Ref page 9 of this document: http://www.plugingeorgia.com/pdf/library/GA_AFV_Incentive_Guide.docx

If you are purchasing a PHEV (such as the Chevy Volt), you must ensure that the car is registered properly by the auto dealer with the correct fuel code distinction (‘O’ for ‘Other’ or ‘F’ for ‘Flex’), which will allow the car to qualify for the AFV License Plate. (Note that the default electric/gas designator is type ‘B’ which does not allow for issuance of the AFV Plate.)
... This fuel code cannot easily be changed after the vehicle’s VIN is registered.

I am attempting to rectify this in New York State as well. Being a former DMV Deputy Commissioner, I recall specifically that specific fields on the computer were set aside for alternative fuel vehicles; yet, when mine was registered, it went through as "Gas". I called DMV and got a quick cite that says if it has any gas in the propulsion system, it gets registered as gas. Then I called another Dep Commissioner still there, and he agreed with my recollection and demand that it be clarified. He said he would look into it and get back to me.

You may also wish to try working through your state or regional energy offices (in NYS we have NYSERDA--energy R&D that drafts such regulations as well). They can have influence in the bureaucracy.

Thankfully, we don't have special lanes around Albany, but I know on Long Island, etc. they exist. I wonder how they are being treated down there?

I'll report back on what my fellow high-level bureaucrat says....

ultraturtle, which dealership did you use. I leased mine last week and had to walk the finance guy through the screens. He selected "two cycle" and subcategory of "other". It wasn't as cut and dry as "B", "O", "F" or "E" in the menu unfortunately.

gt3389b said:
ultraturtle, which dealership did you use. I leased mine last week and had to walk the finance guy through the screens. He selected "two cycle" and subcategory of "other". It wasn't as cut and dry as "B", "O", "F" or "E" in the menu unfortunately.
You won't know if there is a problem until you receive your title.

This was my second PHEV purchase in Georgia, so I was ready for a slog fest, and the Motor Vehicle Department was up for another fight.

This time, my BMW dealer (Global Imports) was able to override the default entries and properly submitted the form with the proper "O" fuel category. The Georgia DMW took it upon themselves to change the code, and issue a title with an incorrect code. Once again, after many phone calls and a couple of months waiting, I was issued the proper title, and was able to walk all of the paperwork in to get the Alternative Fuel Vehicle tag. While it was no fault of Global Imports at all, they paid the full cost of issuing a corrected title. I recommend them highly, and will probably buy my i5 from them...

Back