Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we start out with the amazon link for the proper OBDII to Ethernet cable that is required?

I have been waiting for this day for a long time! Ordered my cable now let's

Unleash the REx!

geosynch
(John Higham)

I see that some of the items you guys linked to include software - I would NOT use the software they've included. Instead see this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638188&page=143

I've no clue where to start with coding but I'm desperate to upgrade the bluetooth to enhanced bluetooth. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

i3atl said:
I see that some of the items you guys linked to include software - I would NOT use the software they've included. Instead see this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638188&page=143
Well it will weeks before the cable shows up plus I think I will wait until I get the 07-505 update before I start messing with things.

It's my hope that this thread will contain a clear and concise step by step process that will allow folks to change the features in their i3s. We wait with anticipation that after a couple owners successfully update their i3s, they will share/confirm the process flow.

I plan on going to the meet up currently slated for Pasadena on the 11th. From that we'll get a set of instructions going, post it to Google Docs or similar so it can be a collaborative effort for all to see.

In the meantime, I ordered this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130731306086?item=130731306086&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

It is more money than some of the other cables, but it was free shipping, no duty tax and if there is a problem, I can talk to someone in my native language. I've had issues with imported BT OBD adapters and from that learned the frustration isn't worth the few bucks.

I ordered it today, it was shipped today, and I already have a tracking number.

geosynch

I decided to start the online step-by-step instructions now. So far, I have only two steps, and step two is fuzzy, but it's a start.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qDKcid1hoLQV8_n543Ik3lHLz5v55-rKa_d8roGIVSM/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone with a link can comment, but if you want to edit it, send me an email and I will add you to the approved list of people who can edit it. I'll essentially add anyone, but I want an email so I know who you are and have a record.

If you want to edit the above doc, shoot me an email to [email protected]

Thanks!

geosynch
(John Higham)

When the correct software is located I can host it on my webserver. I have plenty of space and lots of available bandwidth.

So fellow coding fans.....what features would you hack first if you had the complete API documentation for your i3?

Here are my Top 5:

1) Disable safety disclaimer on the iDrive display upon startup.

OK BMW, I've read your disclaimer. I understand it. I've confirmed that I understand it. I don't need to read it again. Ever. For the rest of my life. REALLY, BMW? You REALLY think I need to read that disclaimer and confirm that I understand it EVERY TIME I TURN MY i3 ON for as long as I own this car?

2) Disable fasten seat belt warning.

Same thing as #1 above. I understand, BMW. I'm not supposed to drive without my seatbelt fastened. I promise, I won't. But must I listen to that g**da*n BONG BONG BONG every time I reach down to get my water bottle out of my bag on the passenger floor while I'm still parked? REALLY, BMW?

3) Disable auto-lock.

BMW, your auto-lock feature sucks. Perhaps your software coders have NEVER DRIVEN A CAR BEFORE IN THEIR LIVES? Auto-lock has a gigantic bug. Actually, two gigantic bugs. First bug - it can't be disabled through the iDrive menu (as it can on EVERY OTHER BMW). Second bug - the devices auto-locked do not auto-UNlock when the i3 is turned off. So after you arrive, if you (for example) want to get something out of the hatch, or open the passenger door for your wife, you must either fish the fob out of your pocket and hit the unlock button, or you must hit the unlock button on the door before you get out.

This is mitigated to a degree by those who have the Comfort Access option, but unfortunately, my i3 does not.

4) Disable climate control auto-on. It's a nice day. I turn the HVAC completely off (fan speed = 0) and roll the windows down. I drive to the Post Office. When I exit the Post Office and turn the i3 on, the fan is automatically TURNED BACK ON, the HVAC is enabled, and the A/C is blowing cold air.

Really, BMW? Has the weather changed THAT MUCH during the 4 minutes I've been inside the Post Office? Or during the 16 minutes I've been inside the grocery store? Are your software coders really THAT clueless and poorly trained?

5) Disable the auto-off that shuts off the car when the driver opens his door.

So, BMW, your incompetent software coders never realized that, due to this feature, a guy who stops at the mailbox at the end of his driveway must (1) turn the car back on and (2) re-disable the A/C (see #4 above)? Even though he's only been physically outside the car for 10 seconds?

BMW: I own a software development company....I've owned it for 28 years. I've literally had 12-year-old grade school kids I've mentored through my company's Young Engineers Program do a better job coding than the geniuses at BMW who coded the i3's iDrive. What is so inexplicable and exasperating to me is that many far more difficult aspects of the car (such as the carbon materials engineering and the drive train) were engineered superbly. BMW just dropped the ball on the iDrive. What, did BMW run out of development budget and outsource the iDrive firmware development to a bunch of local 6th graders?

TMSsilent said:
What is so inexplicable and exasperating to me is that many far more difficult aspects of the car (such as the carbon materials engineering and the drive train) were engineered superbly.

Yes, that's what they do; it's a car company.
Truth of the matter: if your company were to develop a car, the software would be top-notch but something else would be underdeveloped :)
But, agreed, even when I consider BMWs software-system one of the better ones (alert: Personal Opinion Warning), I don't get it either why car companies don't spend more quality-time/money/expertise on their software, for it is the software that makes or breaks your interaction with your car...

Regards, Steven

TMSsilent said:
So fellow coding fans.....what features would you hack first if you had the complete API documentation for your i3?
At the top of every North American REx owners' list, by a wide margin: The ability to cycle on and off the "Hold State of Charge" function, which is BMW lingo for manually activating and deactivating the REx gen-set. If no access to API documentation becomes available, perhaps one of our ROTW friends can analyze a dump of bus communications to tell us what code is thrown when they select "Settings", "Range Extender", then "Hold State of Charge", as well as the code for manually deactivating the REx.

Second on the list would be the Parameter ID (PID) for traction battery state of charge (SOC).

While many (often thousands) of items are configurable in the general BMW software via 'switches', not all of them are. And, some of them interact, so you may need to change multiple items to get what you desire. So, it may or may not be possible to tweak the things people desire. THe more common ones like the seat belt warning almost certainly are, and maybe the door lock situation, but maybe not REx control. Only time will tell.

ultraturtle said:
TMSsilent said:
At the top of every North American REx owners' list, by a wide margin: The ability to cycle on and off the "Hold State of Charge" function, which is BMW lingo for manually activating and deactivating the REx gen-set. If no access to API documentation becomes available, perhaps one of our ROTW friends can analyze a dump of bus communications to tell us what code is thrown when they select "Settings", "Range Extender", then "Hold State of Charge", as well as the code for manually deactivating the REx.

Second on the list would be the Parameter ID (PID) for traction battery state of charge (SOC).

Both of these have been "done" via coding for several weeks.

Back