CKE7

Re: Sunshades for the windshield that work

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Lesbi3: thanks for your input. I've been thinking I need to try a rolled type of shade. I bought a one-piece folding shade from Itro-Tech, which is supposed to be customized for the i3, but the center cut out is HUGE! About 6" on either side of the post that holds the rear view mirror to the windshield is exposed and down about 18". I have been debating whether to keep it or get something else. Based on your experience, I'm going to return it, and get a rolled one.
New owner of 2016 i3 REX
Palm Springs, CA

frictioncircle

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 pm

I drive in the Western US and have had a good experience with my Heatshield for the windshield. It rolls up and has a Velcro closure – I toss it in the back seat when not using it.

I bought mine in 2014 – Heatshield hadn't yet worked out an exact fit but looking at pics on their website today it appears things are in better shape now.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-win ... tchback-5d

Regarding tint:
Considering what your legislative environment allows, tint as many windows as you can, with as much IR protection as you can. The i3 has high IR gain from its huge windshield. I have SunTek CXP Series all around with the windshield at 80% transmittance – it's very good in cutting heat gain but I wish I could get even more.

Select a competent installer, the windshield in an i3 is not an easy one to do.

That said, keep in mind night driving. The i3 has a big A-pillar – combine that with a darkly tinted windshield and the driver's workload is increased at night. I often wish that, when driving at night, that I had no tint at all.

jadnashuanh

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:37 am

3M's Crystalline tint blocks a significant amount of IR and UV without being dark. It's a bit harder to install because it is thicker than many, and 3M only sells it to dealerships that have taken their training, so may not be available in as many places. Installed properly, it is optically perfect.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

CKE7

Window coating, tinting Re: Sunshades for the windshield that work

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks for the advice on window coating, tinting. My ICE mechanic is top notch so he will know where to get this done. And I’ll try aa roll up windshield shade.
New owner of 2016 i3 REX
Palm Springs, CA

MKH
Gold Member

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:47 pm

And I’ll try a roll up windshield shade.
This one fits - but the seller has gotten a little pricey - when I bought mine a month or so ago, it was $31
-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-BMW-i3-14- ... 2749.l2649
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

CKE7

Review Intro Tech Re: Sunshades for the windshield that work

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:07 am

REVIEW: Intro-Tech BM-71-R Ultimate Reflector Custom Fit Folding Windshield Sunshade for Select BMW i3 Models, Silver, Sold by: Driver Mods, Amazon

Cost: $48.98
3 stars -- Even though the Amazon car-model-finder and the seller say the product custom fits my 2016 i3 Rex, it does not. The construction is good however so I gave it 3 stars instead of 2. The photos speak for themselves. There's a huge gap-- in one photo, the ruler reads 6" on either side of the rear view mirror attachment.

Sorry, no photos, I can't figure out how to attach them. Are attachments allowed on this post? But you can find my review on Amazon.
New owner of 2016 i3 REX
Palm Springs, CA

gt1

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 pm

I have this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Fit-Win ... 3401171428
It is well made and fits precisely. The center cutout is a bit large, but it helps to clear the mirror when installing or removing.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”