PBNB

Installed dual Hella horns

The other day, I went to use the horn and thought for a moment that I was driving a Ford Pinto.

I was given a Hella dual horn set for Christmas and finally decided to install it on the weekend.

The horns are very cool sounding with a (Euro) sound.

Here is a video made by Phil H https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYEoiMYjZ0w on how to do this.
2015 i3 REX
Obioban

Re: Installed dual Hella horns

My real complaint with the i3 horn is that it seems to have lag, and you can't give a friendly/polite, quarter second "beep beep"
robthebold

Obioban wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:21 am My real complaint with the i3 horn is that it seems to have lag, and you can't give a friendly/polite, quarter second "beep beep"
Yes. I just don't get that. Although maybe not as time-sensitive as braking, why should there be a time delay when honking the horn? It is a piece of safety equipment, after all. The technology for "instant honk" has existed since the squeeze bulb.
alohart

robthebold wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:24 amAlthough maybe not as time-sensitive as braking, why should there be a time delay when honking the horn? It is a piece of safety equipment, after all. The technology for "instant honk" has existed since the squeeze bulb.
Apparently, the horn button isn't electrically connected directly to the horn as has been true in cars made for decades. Instead, the horn button and horn are connected to a data bus that receives a signal from the horn button which activates power to the horn. Unfortunately, there is a response delay on this data bus that results in the horn not honking immediately when the horn button is pressed. This seems like a poor implementation on BMW's part.
Aloha,
Art
[22-04-25 to now] 2019 BMW i3 Imperial Blue Metallic, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Heat Pump, 428 Wheels
[14-11-05 to 22-06-15] 2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging
JuiceBox EVSE
robthebold

This seems like a poor implementation on BMW's part.
You can say that again. CAN bus is designed to be real-time and prioritized. If the horn has such a low priority that the human operator notices the delay that's a big deal. Parking sensors and collision avoidance and automatic braking go over CAN. So BMW can (that's a pun ;) ) and should make sure response time is instantaneous. I've "requested horn activation" to warn of an impending collision only to have the horn sound after the situation had passed. Yelling is considerably faster, I've found.
MKH

Unfortunately, there is a response delay on this data bus that results in the horn not honking immediately when the horn button is pressed. This seems like a poor implementation on BMW's part.
My horn honks immediately when the horn button is pressed - no lag whatsoever.
robthebold

MKH wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:59 am
Unfortunately, there is a response delay on this data bus that results in the horn not honking immediately when the horn button is pressed. This seems like a poor implementation on BMW's part.
My horn honks immediately when the horn button is pressed - no lag whatsoever.
Well this suddenly got more interesting. Before reading your post I thought we were dealing with a "feature" not a bug. But if there are i3s that don't have the horn lag -- you know, like every other car ever -- this changes things.
vreihen

I can't tell you what my horn does, since they usually rust away from lack of use in any of my vehicles. Other than the annual test that's part of the state DMV safety inspection, it is dead weight in my cars that sees zero use.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles
MKH

Before reading your post I thought we were dealing with a "feature" not a bug. But if there are i3s that don't have the horn lag -- you know, like every other car ever -- this changes things.
https://youtu.be/Cuv4ft81L_c
Sarahandr

Which kind of Hella horns is that? I can’t figure it out from the video. Is it the Twin Trumpet edition or the Super Tone? I installed a loud marine horn on my X3. Stock horns were not making enough noise when on a highway. I decided to keep them but also to add a separate button for new horns. These are used when I see someone who doesn’t know how to merge properly into high-speed traffic. Now my original horn sounds too weak, so I'm thinking about Hella Twin Trumpet.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”